Why buy American?

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
Graps

Why buy American?

#1 Post by Graps »

In light of a post that was put on another thread I thought I would start this one.
Of course having my job that I held for 20 years close down and move to Mexico, I tend to have a strong opinion about this subject.
https://www.americanmadematters.com/10- ... -products/
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

Re: Why buy American?

#2 Post by Grizzly »

Why stay true to your wife when there are so many other beautiful women out there that you don't have to support? Why?

Any issue where you sense in your heart or know that one way is the better way or the right way, and another is temping, easier, cheaper or more fun, requires a strength of conviction and character to do what is right in your heart; or you could say, to follow your heart.

Does America have that strength of character to do what is right anymore? I think overall, that we have slowly been losing it over the last couple of generations. It may have begun with Dr. Spock not wanting us to spank our kids (us, actually, because he influenced the parents of the baby-boomers). Then came the "free love" movement and the "do what you feel" believers. We had a counter culture growing and all kinds of little revolutions brewing in the youth who became older people, who refused to go to war and who stayed home and went to colleges - and many stayed in colleges and stayed and stayed, piling up degrees and probably even taking over the leadership of both the colleges, and business' and government.

So, with so many doing what they felt was right and no longer holding to what had proven to be a right and moral way of living, we saw the birth of relativism. So, who would really care about buying American in this new atmosphere - this new culture that was growing?

Industry was off and running after WW2 and so was a re-birth of materialism. Everyone wanted the American dream. Many jobs offered pensions after retirement. My Dad retired with two pensions and social security. To feed this continuing appetite for all these "things", the prices were rising as the costs of labor were also rising, as were the costs of all the raw materials or parts needed for construction or manufacturing..

No one was willing to put on the brakes or say no. So look at us now. To try to save what we have left and grow again, maybe, dare I say grow great again, it will require us to bite the bullet and sacrifice now for the future. Actually, for the present if we want any of our kids to be able to find any sort of work.

Can I resist Chinese stuff when I have a choice? Look at the bow question thread right now; what is Samick, Korean? We have a sponsor who sells a nearly completed bow that you could put a little of your hard work into and probably enjoy even more- and for a similar cost, I imagine.

It seems like President Trump is the only one standing in this gap. He's catching all kinds of grief for doing it too. This China thing is just a continuation of the Japanese thing. I remember the look on my Father in laws face when I came home with a Mitsubishi television set(even spell check is familiar with these foreign names). He was at Midway and another big sea battle I can never recall, and had two, two air craft carriers shot out from under him. He helped change an engine on one of Doolittle's bombers on the Hornet's flight deck that the salt water had gotten to. He had been shot at by Japanese Zero's made by Mitsubishi. That look was piercing.

That generation and some still today had and still have the common sense to do what is right to preserve the strength and well being of the nation where they live and raise their families. I how these other generations wake up soon.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Jamesh76

#3 Post by Jamesh76 »

It all depends what I am buying. Certain things I dont like to buy overseas. Some i dont mind. Some US companies have plants in other countries as well. Chevy, an american company has a plant or is putting one in Mexico. Toyota has some us plants. It just depends. I'll elaborate more when I'm in front of a computer. That is a good article, makes ya think.

Grizzly

#4 Post by Grizzly »

Just look at how we react when someone asks on a forum what we think of a foreign made bow? Or when I mention a Chinese knife. Or when we look at the benefits of Chinese fletching tape. We are polite and answer the question and never mention the elephant in the room. Same thing happens to many who cannot bring themselves to mentions the Lord's name in public. We are becoming mice and we are growing weaker as a society as we watch it happen to us before our eyes. Now, I'll shut up for a while. oops, I missed Graps link.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Jamesh76

#5 Post by Jamesh76 »

Quality and control is big for me. For certain items. Most US products are great, some.not so much. Some Japanese or Chinese products are great, some not so much. Again depending what I buy. Like the fletching tape, spending 2$ on a roll of fletching tape sure makes me wanna build more arrows which I spend alot more money for to a US company. If I didnt get the fletching tape for $2, I probably qouldnt spend $50 on a dozen arrows because now I'm spending $62 on a dozen arrows instead of $52. Just like an auction. That $10 matters. So in this scenario I buy from one then spend more supporting the other.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”