BP

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
stumper

BP

#1 Post by stumper »

Looking for recommendations for best black powder classic rifle under a 1000 bucks. Cool with production rifles and am looking at the Lyman. Any custom options for this price point? Flintlock and cap are both acceptable and I really like hawkens style.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

Re: BP

#2 Post by Graps »

Lyman Great Planes Flintlock. Best production gun in my opinion.
54cal. you wont be sorry. ;)
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Both the Lyman Trade Rifle and Great Plains are available in .50 cal and .54 cal in both flint or percussion as well as kit form. Both are excellent guns. The GP has a slower twist, more suitable for round balls although at 1:48 my Trade Rifle has excellent accuracy at 100 yards with a .495 RB and .010 patch combo.
It's more a "which you prefer" thing...half stock Hawken design or 3/4 Plains rifle design. I can't speak for the flint models but the caplocks are rock-solid reliable WRT firing, even with Pyrodex.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#4 Post by stumper »

Anyone used the pedersoli brand rifles?
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

stumper wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:09 pm Anyone used the pedersoli brand rifles?
Depends. My Pedersoli looks like this, and the black powder goes inside a brass case...

They build a fine gun.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”