Primitive Louisiana.

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
stumper

Re: Primitive Louisiana.

#11 Post by stumper »

Just talked to the owner of Bayou Bullets. He said as long as we keep our loads within the pistol specs of loading the extra speed because of barrel length shouldn't hurt the barrels at all. He said they don't need to be gas checked and the hi-tek coating is a lubricant within itself. I will do some testing and let you all know how it comes out.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#12 Post by Captainkirk »

Interesting; waiting to hear your results on this 'un.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#13 Post by Grizzly »

Capt. has raised a technical question by saying there is no need for a heavy crimp in a single shot. I understand that there is no bullet set back due to recoil, necessitating a heavy crimp, but I also think I remember reading that a heavy crimp, in a magnum handgun cartridge is necessary for the efficient burning of a slow burning powder.

I experienced bullet set back for the first time with that 19 oz .44 special Bulldog - with factory 246 gr loads. It is so light weight that it's like holding onto a steel kinetic bullet puller that you don't even have to smack down hard on a wood stump to jar the bullet free of the case. This handgun almost does it for you after a few shots. I make sure my crimps are good and firm now.

I agree with Capt on a 240gr jacked bullet like a Hornady XTP. They are even favored by the in line muzzleloader crowd. I used the 180 in the handgun to insure expansion. That reminds me of the time years ago when I loaded one of those 180 XTPs in a sabot and stuffed it down a TC Renegade on top of 100grs of black powder. The guys on the farm looked at the entrance or exit wound (I forget which it was) that was so huge, it looked like I'd illegally shot it with a 30-06 or something. When we checked our deer in, they had that side turned down :roll: Way too much expansion. That could be why I'm confused on which hole it was. It's possible that it came apart on the entrance at that velocity. That button buck never took a step. That was my first hunt with blackpowder.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Grizzly

#14 Post by Grizzly »

stumper wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:31 am Just talked to the owner of Bayou Bullets. He said as long as we keep our loads within the pistol specs of loading the extra speed because of barrel length shouldn't hurt the barrels at all. He said they don't need to be gas checked and the hi-tek coating is a lubricant within itself. I will do some testing and let you all know how it comes out.
I'll bet you will find someone on that cast bullet forum or another, who has already tried it.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

stumper

#15 Post by stumper »

Great info as usual Craig. I actually checked that forum and there are several using that bullet at rifle speeds with no I'll effects. In fact they report 80 or so fps faster than jacketed rounds. Good info on crimping too. Thanks!

Grizzly

#16 Post by Grizzly »

This issue of weather to crimp or not to crimp when loading for a single shot rifle seems to have folks on both side of the fence.

With Win 296 and H110 a crimp in a .44 mag may be necessary for better ignition.

When using 2400, I read a 30 shot sample that showed it might not matter in a single shot rifle.

Lyman's 3rd Edition Cast Bullet Handbook states, "For accuracy loading, bullets should be seated friction tight, but the case should not be crimped. Crimping can be harmful to consistent bullet pull for two reasons: 1. It is nearly impossible to crimp each case exactly the same each time; 2. The pressure used in crimping has a tendency to bulge the neck away from the bullet. In some instances, crimping actually loosens the bullet in the neck and lightens bullet pull.

Another issue in choosing a bullet it the depth of the rifling. I know Marlin uses their "Micro Groove" rifling which is shallow and so favors jacket bullets.

I have no idea what sort of rifling there is in your Henry. Deeper rifling is better when using cast bullets. I would guess your Henry uses deep, but that again is only a guess.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#17 Post by Captainkirk »

FWIW, fellers...
I have loaded (and fired) some pretty heavy magnum loads in 7mm Remington Magnum through my Browning A-Bolt...for range use ONLY, to be loaded and fired single shot...with no crimp. Grouping and performance was excellent. I load .45/70 405gr jacketed FP bullets for use in my High Wall; again, no crimp. It takes a number of good wallops to unseat a 405gr bullet using a kinetic puller. That being said, I have heard of folks hunting with single shot rifles with non-crimped bullets carrying extras in a cartridge belt all day in the field and upon returning to camp, found several of the bullets had moved forward a little. No details given on what had transpired during the hunt though, they might have been sitting in a tree all day, or climbing after mountain goats. Who knows? For hunting, I don't see where a VERY LIGHT taper crimp would hurt. But I can say with all the handloads I've done that I've never had a bullet move on me. I intend to not crimp on the loads I will be working up for my Sharps, but again, these will be RANGE ONLY rounds.
Keep us in the loop!
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#18 Post by stumper »

In all honesty, we were not planning on crimping. My buddy and I have been loading the 45 colt out of a heavy 7.5 inch barrel blackhawk for about a year now. We have never crimped a round (we are not shooting the hottest loads the round is capable of) and have never experience a bullet moving. We also carry several rounds in a belt holster and again have never had an issue. Now, if we were shooting a 44 handgun we would without a doubt invest in a crimping die, but at the moment do not have the funds to get one.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#19 Post by Captainkirk »

What sort of die are you using, Dave?
Most dies come with built-in taper crimp, unless you specifically order the dies without.
A Lee 3-die set can be had for as little as $33.99, and if all you want to do is add a crimp die, the Lee .44 mag Factory Crimp Die goes for $18.99...not a princely sum by any means!

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQ ... PerPage=48

I own the FC dies for all calibers I reload and suffice to say they works great.
All my regular die sets are RCBS, but the Lee dies work quite well as crimp dies. Not that I really feel you need to crimp, but just throwing it out there.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#20 Post by Captainkirk »

stumper wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:02 am In all honesty, we were not planning on crimping. My buddy and I have been loading the 45 colt out of a heavy 7.5 inch barrel blackhawk for about a year now. We have never crimped a round (we are not shooting the hottest loads the round is capable of) and have never experience a bullet moving.
You might be surprised. It's often hard to tell on a revolver as there is usually a lot of extra length in the cylinder bore, and unless a problem is encountered, one usually loads and shoots all of them without pulling them out to notice any anomalies. I always crimp my .44M rounds for my Super Blackhawk, but I only use the TC die on plated bullets (i.e. Berry's or Ranier) as the Lee FC die causes problems for me unless there is a crimping cannelure present (as in the XTP or your hard cast lead bullets, for example). Either way, I don't anticipate any issues in a single shot rifle without crimping so it's a moot point.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”