Primitive Louisiana.

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
stumper

Primitive Louisiana.

#1 Post by stumper »

Well here it is... I have never bought a center fire rifle for myself before this gun. Will and I wanted accurate firearms that would be handed down to our kids some day. In Louisana you can hunt during muzzleloader season with a modern rifle if it is bigger than 35 cal and a single shot.

We are on our way to black powder but didn't have the money to do it right at this juncture. Once I finish paying my student loans off this year I will be treating Will and I to a custom smoke pole. Until then this beautiful single shot 44mag that Will mostly treated me to will allow us to hunt primitive firearms season. Yes I know there is nothing primitive about it. But at least we load our own ammo and it will remain open sights.
Attachments
IMG_15032019_215515_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_15032019_215515_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (42.26 KiB) Viewed 158 times
IMG_15032019_215522_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_15032019_215522_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (33.55 KiB) Viewed 158 times
IMG_15032019_215527_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_15032019_215527_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (48.33 KiB) Viewed 158 times
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

White Falcon

Re: Primitive Louisiana.

#2 Post by White Falcon »

Very nice looking gun. It will last several live times!

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

My experience with 44mag rifles, they are surprisingly accurate and on deer sized game, they pack a punch.
I wouldn't hesitate to take a shot up to 100 yards.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#4 Post by stumper »

Graps wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:06 am My experience with 44mag rifles, they are surprisingly accurate and on deer sized game, they pack a punch.
I wouldn't hesitate to take a shot up to 100 yards.
Yes. From the charts I have looked at that 44mag from a rifle gains a lot of benefits. Henry offers this rifle in the brass only in 4570 and 44. We were unable to find it in 4570. The load I will be loading is a 240 hard cast under 11.7 grains of unique for a 4 inch pistol velocity of 1400 plus fps. Not sure what it will do out of a 22 inch barrel but I'm sure its gonna be fast.

Graps

#5 Post by Graps »

I would guess that to hit 1800 out of that barrel.
I used to load H110 240gr JFN and was getting a little over 1900fps with a Marlin lever.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

#6 Post by Grizzly »

I predict you and your son will really enjoy hunting with that Henry. I wish Illinois would allow that.

Like Graps, I used a slower burning powder. I started with 296 and changed to Accurate Arms #9 and 180 gr Hornady XTP jhp bullets in my 7 1/2" Ruger .44 Hunter for deer. I had excellent success on deer when I loaded to pressure signs for my particular revolver and then backed off about a 1/10 - staying within the manual recommendations.

I was always a bit leery of pushing cast bullets very fast because of leading and how difficult it can be to remove it. It can really fill in the rifling and I've seen it ruin accuracy. I know it can be done, but it takes some research. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has alot of information on cast bullets and rifles as does a forum like this one, http://castboolits.gunloads.com/search. ... id=5398125

The sizing diameter of the cast bullet has to match the barrel and the hardness has to be known, then the proper lubes used. I've noticed how detailed some are on that forum concerning all these little details. When I use cast bullets, and I use alot of them for target practice, I slow them way down. For hunting I just use jacketed.

You might want to look towards a nice packing .44 revolver that comes out of the holster really smooth and fast in case you run into one of those primitive gaters down there in primitive Louisiana :o ;)
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

stumper

#7 Post by stumper »

Grizzly wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:54 am I predict you and your son will really enjoy hunting with that Henry. I wish Illinois would allow that.

Like Graps, I used a slower burning powder. I started with 296 and changed to Accurate Arms #9 and 180 gr Hornady XTP jhp bullets in my 7 1/2" Ruger .44 Hunter for deer. I had excellent success on deer when I loaded to pressure signs for my particular revolver and then backed off about a 1/10 - staying within the manual recommendations.

I was always a bit leery of pushing cast bullets very fast because of leading and how difficult it can be to remove it. It can really fill in the rifling and I've seen it ruin accuracy. I know it can be done, but it takes some research. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has alot of information on cast bullets and rifles as does a forum like this one, http://castboolits.gunloads.com/search. ... id=5398125

The sizing diameter of the cast bullet has to match the barrel and the hardness has to be known, then the proper lubes used. I've noticed how detailed some are on that forum concerning all these little details. When I use cast bullets, and I use alot of them for target practice, I slow them way down. For hunting I just use jacketed.

You might want to look towards a nice packing .44 revolver that comes out of the holster really smooth and fast in case you run into one of those primitive gaters down there in primitive Louisiana :o ;)
Indeed. The hard cast bullets I buy down here are from bayou bullets and they are polymer coated and from what I understand are very good even at high speeds. Though you might be right, maybe going with a jacketed bullet would be wise. I do want a nice packing 44mag, but currently, I carry a 357 snub with some stout ammo. 19oz 5 shot carries very nicely in all weather. As for the gators lol, I have been around them my whole life (being from Florida) and they usually leave people alone. I sent the CEO of Henry a nice thank you email and he responded personally and just sent me two henry hats, two henry campfire mugs, and two key chains. Really nice to have a personal company that takes care of its customers.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Nice choice, Dave. You have good taste!
If using cast bullets, you will want to use a gas check with anything over 1200fps MV when loading your own. Plenty of good factory rounds out there for the .44 mag, I would recommend a jacketed HP 240 gr bullet for deer hunting.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#9 Post by stumper »

Captainkirk wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:14 am Nice choice, Dave. You have good taste!
If using cast bullets, you will want to use a gas check with anything over 1200fps MV when loading your own. Plenty of good factory rounds out there for the .44 mag, I would recommend a jacketed HP 240 gr bullet for deer hunting.
The bullets I have found are coated with Hi-Tek coating. Everything I have read suggests that they do not need to be gas checked. Do you all still advise doing this?

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

I'm not familiar with the Hi-Tek coating. Is it a powder coat type material or metallic plating?
I guess the best route to take for those is to contact the manufacturer, but at 1800(?) fps (in a rifle barrel) you're not even close to the 1200fps limit. Personally, for deer I would choose a good copper-jacketed hollow point, although for a single shot rifle, you could go with a heavier bullet and there would be no need to crimp. I will check in my loadbooks tonight and see if I can get a recommendation on a good load for a .44 rifle load. I shoot 240gr bullets out of my Super Blackhawk @ 1100fps using 9.5gr of Unique but I don't shoot lead bullets. The Hornady XTP is an excellent bullet for the .44mag and works quite well in rifles from what I've heard. I use that bullet when woods walking in my SBH and find it to be outstanding.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10108 ... llow-point
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”