I learned something today.

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
Graps

I learned something today.

#1 Post by Graps »

Well I guess you can always learn something.
I haven't shared anything about my pet snakes on here mostly because it's not trad archery related but today I learned something about snakes that you might find entertaining.
So let me back up a couple days, my 3 foot Strawberry Corn snake graduated to a full size mouse because the smaller ones ( called jumpers ) didn't seem to fill him up. I would feed him and the very next day he would be hunting all around his enclosure.
Well he handle the large mouse just fine and has been quite for a couple days. So this afternoon I got him out to spend some time with me and my recliner on a quiet Sunday afternoon.
I noticed that his lower abdomen was fatter than usual and I was thinking he might be getting fat, because with a snake that's the first part that shows if they are getting overweight.
So Berry ( that's his name ) for some reason tried to crush my hand and wouldn't let go.
I got him unwrapped and he as usual crawled up my arm and went around my neck. Ok, that's normal, still no worries on my part.
So I grabbed my phone and with the selfie on I was going to see if he was climbing over my chair or just chilling.
Now with my phone in my right hand, I feel something cold on my left arm.
Thinking it was his tail I looked and his tail was still on my tee shirt sleeve but I started to hear a squirting sound.
Now with my Jack Russell Terrorist on my lap I unwrapped Berry from my neck and holding him in one hand I yell for my wife to help me.
I don't quite know how to describe what happened, but have you ever seen Labrador with very loose diarrhea?
There would be pictures but I couldn't get my wife to stop gagging so she could take any.
After I got out of the shower, I told my wife " on the bright side, this saved me from having to clean up his enclosure."
So what did I learn?
Don't handle a snake that has there lower abdomen bulging near the vent...... :roll:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

Re: I learned something today.

#2 Post by stumper »

I had ball pythons and red tail boas all growing up. I have a pretty wild ball python story I'll face for a later date. Fond memories.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Okay I’m at a loss, but I will say this about your last statement, I don’t handle snakes bulging or not! :shock:

Graps

#4 Post by Graps »

Well Tony, that's why I don't talk about snakes on here.
It's amazing, a 250 pound truck driver that would kill a white tail buck bare handed will turn into a shaking blubbering mass even just talking about snakes. :lol:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#5 Post by stumper »

I'm a search and rescue diver in Louisiana. Snakes are my closest friends. By proximity that is.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

I can tell you my opinion about snakes, but you probably wouldn't care to hear it, Dale.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

20190715_113417~01.jpg
20190715_113417~01.jpg (106.82 KiB) Viewed 181 times
20190716_123945~01.jpg
20190716_123945~01.jpg (61.49 KiB) Viewed 181 times
This is the offending cridder.
You gotta admit he is pretty.

stumper

#8 Post by stumper »

Beautiful.

Grizzly

#9 Post by Grizzly »

I wonder why some folks take to snakes and spiders and lizards and the rest of the population is happy with dogs and cats? Then you have the vet types who seem to love and care for all animals. I had one of those pull a huge cedar splinter out of my thumb when I was about 7 and tied a split cedar arrow together with a string and launched it from a long bow without a shelf. There were no Drs around only a vet. Of coarse, that was before I discovered duct tape. :roll:

Wouldn't you know I'd become a mechanic who always kept baling wire close by?? :roll:
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

jd-xlt

#10 Post by jd-xlt »

We had a boa constrictor years ago. My younger son got him (maybe a him, didn't really know how to tell) his senior year and then joined the Marines and left the snake in our care. We named him Julius Squeezer and my daughters and I enjoyed handling him, he was about 4 feet at the time. But whenever I was holding him and my older daughter was near he would squirm and strain to get to her. He would go to her shoulders and then through her long blond hair and peer out over her head. Kinda funny looking but he was content for hours. He also resisted being put back in his cage. We finally sold him when our younger daughter made the mistake of trying to get him out of his cage when he should have been feed. He struck her wrist, she screamed, jerked her arm away and flung him across the room. Mama says Julius has got to go!!!
"Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day,"

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”