Black Bear rig's

Bears, big cats, exotic and African game hunting with trad gear
tmattson

Black Bear rig's

#1 Post by tmattson »

For those that have gone after black Bears, do just use your normal deer set up, or do you have a preferred configuration?
Or just a different arrow combo?

Hill billy

Re: Black Bear rig's

#2 Post by Hill billy »

I have only 1 black bear to my credit but have been on several bear cleaning chores at bear quest and your favorite deer set up is easily sufficient for bear. Imo

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Never hunted 🐻 Bear but also would think your current Deer set up would be sufficient.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Also never hunted but if I do, the only change I might make would be to shoot aluminum arrows rather than cedar.
Aim small, miss small!

elkslayer4x5

#5 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

I don't change a thing, bear's have huge lungs. Just listen carefully for the death moan, cause you'll have to track 'em! With their thick hair, it can soak up a lot of blood. Carry back up! :shock: Larry Hatfield, Howatts master bowyer and the moderator of TradTalk says you can throw an arrow thru a bear.

Hill billy

#6 Post by Hill billy »

Captainkirk wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:44 am Also never hunted but if I do, the only change I might make would be to shoot aluminum arrows rather than cedar.
Just curious on the change of arrow recommendations. I like both! just wondering if there would be an advantage?

Grizzly

#7 Post by Grizzly »

When I lived in Northern NJ, black bears where still farther north and hunted regularly in upstate NY, so the population stayed in the woods. Many years after I left, they came down to Northern NJ and due to politics, hunting seasons have been canceled off and on and the bears now play on the kids swing sets and swim in their pools much to the delight of the activists. I never did get to hunt any so I cant be of any help other then I too think your deer set up would work just as well. Keep em sharp.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Simply this:
Cedars tend to snap off in a frisky feller like a black bear, plus aluminums generally carry a bit more weight.
Aim small, miss small!

Hill billy

#9 Post by Hill billy »

:lol: My family enjoyed the video. That looks more like a cartoon. You have to wonder if they have been watching the kids just waiting there turn.

elkslayer4x5

#10 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Captainkirk wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:48 pm Simply this:
Cedars tend to snap off in a frisky feller like a black bear, plus aluminums generally carry a bit more weight.
If it's still sticking out of them, they'll snap aluminum off as easily as cedar. ;)

Return to “Exotic and Dangerous Game”