Heading to Mexico tomorrow to hunt turkeys!

Bears, big cats, exotic and African game hunting with trad gear
dhaverstick

Heading to Mexico tomorrow to hunt turkeys!

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

Thought I'd get an early start on my turkey hunting this year by flying to the Yucatan to chase ocellated turkeys with a stick and string. I will be hunting with Snook Inn Hunting near the city of Campeche on the western coast of the peninsula.

I have wanted to bow hunt these birds ever since I saw a presentation about them put on by the famous Missouri turkey caller, Leroy Braungardt, at the UBM Festival almost 20 years ago. If you ever heard Leroy speak then you know he was quite a showman and I was fired up and ready to catch a plane that day! However, life got in the way, so I had to wait until now to get 'er done.

Hopefully, I'll come home with more than just a story!

Darren

Hill billy

Re: Heading to Mexico tomorrow to hunt turkeys!

#2 Post by Hill billy »

Wow that sounds like a blast. I’m envious :mrgreen:. So does this mean they are a couple months ahead of us here in Missouri and Arkansas? As far gobbling and mating. They sure are pretty. Good luck and bring back some pics.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Good luck, Darren!
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#4 Post by Elkman »

Looking forward to hearing about your trip, good luck.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

elkslayer4x5

#5 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Wonder how he's doing? Interesting fletchings on that bird. Different natural colors.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

I saw somewhere else that he was successful, hopefully he will get on soon and give us an update, I always enjoy reading about his hunting adventures in his own words.

dhaverstick

#7 Post by dhaverstick »

Fellers, I am at the airport in Merida, Mexico on my way home. My hunting partner has a family emergency that required us to cut our hunt very short. They could use some thoughts and prayers if you have any extra.

On the plus side, I hunted one morning and that was all I needed. I shot a nice bird at about 5 yards with my recurve. I will post pics and tell the tale when I get back home.

Darren

Return to “Exotic and Dangerous Game”