My one and only bear

Bears, big cats, exotic and African game hunting with trad gear
jaydee2trad

My one and only bear

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

It was the last day of the bear archery season, probably 20 plus years ago. I just happened to look out the living room side window and see a bear hunkered over a barrel that had some trash in it. The game wardens had been giving me grief for not taking one out during the season everytime that they came to a bear complaint. I grabbed my bow and slipped out the front door. I had a sharp bear razorhead on my arrow and meant to use it. The bear wasn't that big of a bear but it looked like a decent first bear as I eased along the porch. I knew that my window of opportunity was going to be very short and as soon as I was to where I could shoot, I shot. The two blade zipped right thru it and it straighten up, I realized that it was a little smaller than what I thought it was. It bawled once and took off fast to the thicket behind the house. I hurried off the porch as I tried to listen to it as it broke thru the underbrush. I began working my way down it's trail when it began it's death moan. All that did was to make me want to find it even quicker and shoot it again to end the moaning. The moaning quit quickly and it was dead by the time I got thru the briars. I felt bad that it wasn't as big as I had thought but it was a legal young boar bear. Skinning it out, I could see how human it looked minus the paws and head. Since my father is an Elder, I used some of the claws to make him a necklace so he was happy. No, it wasn't a big trophy at all but it was still a bow kill and I can say that I got one with my bow. JD

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: My one and only bear

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Beats any bear I ever shot (none)!
Well, except for my Bear bows, that is! 8-)
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Exotic and Dangerous Game”