Thinking about 3 under??

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Buckwheat

Thinking about 3 under??

#1 Post by Buckwheat »

I've been shooting split fingered instinctive for years and work on my form constantly. Some days I'm in there pretty good and other day's i"m not. A consistency problem.. I talked to a buddy who has been doing the " instinctive" for a couple years and has the same problem as I do. Consistency... He switched to 3 under and gap and tells me that his accuracy and consistency has really improved a bunch. I shoot mostly targets and some 3D. We both agree that instinctive is best for hunting but neither of us are able to hunt much, so I'm thinking about changing over to 3 under and gaping.??? any encouragement or advice or comments???? I took Rod Jenkins class and he shot 3 under and gaped and sure could hit em...

Bighorntn

Re: Thinking about 3 under??

#2 Post by Bighorntn »

Buckwheat,
I just switched alittle over a month ago to 3 under and I can't believe how much more accurate I am now. I do not have the problems that I used to have shooting Split finger. First I get a deeper more consistent anchor everytime. I do not pluck the string and do not have any target panic at all. I still shoot instinctive I do not gap but it only took me about 3 to 4 days of consistency with it and I settled in and now it is natural for me. I think it is the way to go for consistency. The bow is a little bit louder on release than split but my buddies tell me it is not that much of a difference. I say give it a shot and all I can tell you is a finished 4th in the State of Florida in Mens Recurve on a arrow out of 2nd and 3rd place. So I am sold on it. Rick J
Life is short hunt hard, play hard, and shoot as many bows as you can!!!

Stickflingers

#3 Post by Stickflingers »

I too switched about a year and a half ago....I'll never go back! I shoot 3 under instinctive...no gap shooting, and have definitely increased my accuracy. The only draw-back is that's it's a bit tougher to get bows quiet. You have to give it an honest chance...not just a day or so. Give it a solid week of shooting daily and then make the choice.....Ryan

howler

#4 Post by howler »

my story is pretty much the same as stickflingers, 3 under is a very accurate way to shoot.

Buckwheat

#5 Post by Buckwheat »

Thanks all. My buddy told me that he got his point on (40yds) and then adjusts for yardage, like 8" low @ 20. After awhile it becomes more instinctive, like he doesn't think about the gap anymore.???? He also said that his left/rights went away. I'm going to give it a shot, and not for just a day or two.. like a month or two.. I shoot most every day so I should know by then...

Buckwheat

#6 Post by Buckwheat »

Oh and he also told me that his release is really crisper.. better..

Rchance

#7 Post by Rchance »

I prefer to shoot 3 under as well.
The anchor is rock solid, I use shield-cut fletching,
which inadvertently gave me a built-in draw check.
At full draw my thumb knuckle is behind the jaw,
and the fletching touches the tip of my nose. There was
at first a little more bow noise but by raising the string
nock and very minimal tuning, she's nice and quiet again.
I enjoyed almost immiediate gains in consistency too.
I'm hooked! Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Margly

#8 Post by Margly »

I shoot 3 under and is satisfied with that.
I`m not sure if I do gap, I`m more into the instinctively path and is not so interested in distances I just look at the spot and shoot.
I did shoot split before but felt more comfortable with 3 under cause I got less pressure on the arrow from the index finger on top of the arrow. with bad release it seemed like there was more problems with the flight of the arrow.

The only challenge for me is when shooting on longer distances I`ll lose my sight window after ca 45 yards cause my heavy arrows (600-700 grains)
but hey my hunting distance is out to ca 20 yards so it`s really not a problem :)

Margly
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are !

rbuenafe

#9 Post by rbuenafe »

I switched 3 under three years ago and improved my accuracy greatly. I'll never go back to split finger.
Make most of what you have, you'll be surprise of what you get!

Stickflingers

#10 Post by Stickflingers »

What Rchance said is also what I do with the feather tip on my nose as a second anchor. Like previously said, I also find the anchor more solid.....also helps my line (not as much right to left issues).

Return to “Campfire”