Kershaw's Customer Service

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who also enjoy the fine craft of making Custom Knives and Hawks.
Forum rules
Topics include Knife and Hawk questions, advice and build alongs.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Kershaw's Customer Service

#11 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:10 pm Sprecken z deutsch ?
Nope. Just a smidge of Espanol.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#12 Post by Grizzly »

Wow, $40.00. I was holding my breath because of the overwhelming rust issue I had with that knife. I was cordial on the warranty form I submitted. I asked them to please save the blade since I really liked the way that old 440A sharpened and had to check the "sentimental box" since the blade had commemorative writing on it. I guess I got lucky. Yesterday I sent an email back to the man who worked on it and thanked him for rebuilding it. I said I was a little worried the rust might be an issue since it laid lost in my garage for 16 years. I also asked him if they were going to reintroduce the "Rainbow" Leek. My daughter like that - me, not so much. I always poked myself with that pointy blade and the rainbow is just not me. Very good knife if you like the design. Excellent for detail work.

His reply was the rainbow was probably done with, but they still had some parts, but only serrated blades. Then he thanked me for the kind words and said they sometimes make exceptions over the rust issue, but usually it raises flags.

Arcuites,
Kershaw makes so many styles. I've always spent a little more and bought their USA made models. They will be right around you $60.00 and can be found for less. The grade of steel is better and from what I hear, the fit and finish is also. Anything with their Swedish Sandvik steel is good. I even like their older Sandvik 13C26. It has less Chromium and will pit little rust spots if you don't pay attention. I bought an older Kershaw chef knife with that steel and there was some tiny pitting on the blade, but I like how it sharpens and holds an edge. Kershaw asked Sandvik to make a more rustfree steel. Kershaw at one time was the only company who could buy it. Not sure if that still applies. They added a little more Chromium for added stain resistance and some Nitrogen to aid in heat treating and lowered the carbon just a touch. That steel is 14C28N. Kershaw's China made knives use a lower grade which still isn't bad for an edc.

Their spring assisted knives are a hoot. Might not be the best choice for Church, but fun to play with. Like the Captain said, those springs will wear out in time. You can get around that by buying a manual model with a "flipper" on the top of the blade. They flick open just about as fast and there is no spring to wear out. They also give you just a bit more security by keeping your hand from sliding forward onto the blade. Combine a flipper style with one that has a cutout and some knurling or jimping to keep your fingers from sliding forward, and you have a pretty good edc. Next thing to look for is the overall weight of the knife. Light is nice for edc and heavy is good for tough work. I also like blades that are good slicers. They usually have a smooth, flat blade that tapers from edge to spine with no ledges or thick areas after something like a hollow grind.

The Kershaw Knockout looks good, but large and a bit bulky. The black blade will stand up to corrosion better than stone washed blades, but not sure if that is an issue with the 14C28N. This one is assisted and a flipper and fairly lightweight.

The Kershaw Skyline has always had a good following for an edc. It is very lightweight, good steel, and you can option it up a bit. Also USA made. It's a manual flipper.

I'd stay away from the Blur. I like the looks, but it feels heavy and just not alive to me. The blade studs to open are a bit sharp also.

Here is their list of USA made models https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives?madeinusa=12 This steel will stay sharper than the Chinese steel longer. I've never had one of the China made models.

The Scallion that Captain Kirk owns has been around a long time. They have a shorter blade and overall size if you want something that doesn't take up much space.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Grizzly

#13 Post by Grizzly »

I'm lucky to speak English. I can say a few bad words in Vietnamese and tell folks I can't speak French. :roll:
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Arcuites

#14 Post by Arcuites »

Tack ska du ha Grizzly !! Kershaw needs to have you on their payroll....amazing information.

White Falcon

#15 Post by White Falcon »

Ya

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

40 bucks might seem like a lot for a repair bill, but it included shipping both ways and what I got was basically a like-new reconditioned knife. They even changed all the screws. No complaints out of me as I was considering a new Scallion which was more than $60.00.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#17 Post by Graps »

Gotta know , a cheep knife is just that.
Not worth the cost. ;)
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

#18 Post by Grizzly »

det var så lite

Return to “Knives and Hawks”