Broadheads/arrows

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Superbeek

Broadheads/arrows

#1 Post by Superbeek »

So, this will be my first year hunting whitetails with my recurve. I'm planning on using 145gr wenzel woodsmans and was thinking about adding more weight to the arrow. Not sure if I should use inserts or go with one of those 'heavy hitting' arrows. Just wondering what other people are using, or if anyone with more experience has advice. Improved penetration is a concern of mine. Hopefully everyone is as excited as me for this years season...

bronco2

Re: Broadheads/arrows

#2 Post by bronco2 »

i use a heavy broad head. i think mine are 175 woodsmans. good head. thanks,denny

wandering monk

#3 Post by wandering monk »

I didnt catch what bow you are shooting...or what type arrow...125's are pretty much a good starting point...heavier are good in long bows w/ heavier shafts.

I shoot a 50# recurve and use douglas fir shafts...w/ 125 grain zwickeys...have been doing this for a very long time...and have been fortunate to harvest quite a few deer and big game...

some bows need heavier heads to stabilize the flight of their arrows...or in the case of some bowhunters they just like the bigger heads, its really a personal thing...but IMHO...unless you are shooting a heavier long bow at shorter distances you might be happier with the 125's...of course if you have "tuned" a setup and the heavier heads are right...good luck...and go for it...

the only reason I remarked what I did is because you stated this was something new...

all the best...t
ted ...wandering monk/trout bum
public land pope & young
public water 20"er

www.wmflyrodco.com

LIBERTY

#4 Post by LIBERTY »

You need to bareshaft tune your arrows with the point weight that you intend to use in your broadhead. Just picking a weight you like or think is nice wont get the job done. You also need to choose your arrow shaft and then tune it to your bow, point weight. Guess what I'm saying is I don't think you have all the knowledge you need to make the correct decisions about arrow tune yet. Suggest you watch Ken Becks (Black Widow Bows) excellent tape on bareshafting an arrow. LIBERTY

hillbilly

#5 Post by hillbilly »

I like to shoot around 10 grains per lb (gpp). My bow is 50# so my arrows weigh in around 510 grains average. My broadheads weigh 165 grains. I shoot Surewood wooden shafts. I paper tune my arrows.

motfas

#6 Post by motfas »

"ditto" Liberty
way it's done
at least around here for 30 years
good luck
tom

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”