Point and insert weights. A couple tricks.

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Jamesh76

Point and insert weights. A couple tricks.

#1 Post by Jamesh76 »

This my benefit someone, so I will share it here. Alot of people use the brass inserts on carbons for weight. However, they are like 12-15$ per dozen plus shipping. The inside diameter of most standard carbons is .246. A 243 bullet is. 244 and with hot melt or epoxy is the perfect fit. They can be used behind standard inserts or behind brass inserts if needed. I know alot of people prefer specific broadheads. I personally like the magnus. But achieving a certain weight that tunes can be difficult. The 243 bullets can be bought in a variety of weights from 50-125 grains or so and at a fraction of the price. 100 bullets typically can be bought for around $20. On a side note, your arrows for glue on heads are tapered. To add point weight, you can cut the end of your taper back just a little but and melt small fishing lead stinkers into the broadhead to achieve more weight. It dont take much as lead is heavy. Just dont cut it buck too far. Sometimes you dont have to cut it back at all. The best way to try it is to fill your broadhead taper to the appropriate weight and check or adjust taper fit of arrow.

Graps

Re: Point and insert weights. A couple tricks.

#2 Post by Graps »

Neat idea.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Greg Felty

#3 Post by Greg Felty »

Thanks James.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

I've heard the bullet thing before, but new to the sinker idea...which is great! Thanks for sharing, James!
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#5 Post by Elkman »

Good to know James, Thanks for letting us know!!
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

jaydee2trad

#6 Post by jaydee2trad »

I was already thinking of trying to use some shot weight in the front of a broadhead. I have 5 Goldpoint 600 spine arrows at 29". the bullet idea sounds pretty good too, just not sure it will fit in these shafts. was also looking at the steel broadhead adapters from 75 grain up.

Return to “All about arrows”