hybrid longbows

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Jamesh76

Re: hybrid longbows

#21 Post by Jamesh76 »

Joe, look at the mandarin duck. Black.hunter longbow. About 130 tyd, cheaper on Ebay. Solid takedown longbow. I have 2. Dont care to shoot much anything else on my wall anymore.

Longtrad

#22 Post by Longtrad »

i agree the black hunter is a sweeet rig.

Dan

#23 Post by Dan »

Carpdaddy wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:02 pm Kenny is a sponsor here now, check out his site, I’ll try to do a link. I finished one of his and posted it in the bowyers section, thinking someone else did also, maybe Dan?. Look at Bowyers page Joe.
https://www.kennysarchery.com/bow-forms-and-hardware/
Yes, I finished one of his blanks I won in a giveaway here. It wasn’t hard to finish and turned out great.
8972DD12-B26E-43B9-B321-48EF44091AD6.jpeg
8972DD12-B26E-43B9-B321-48EF44091AD6.jpeg (79.46 KiB) Viewed 327 times

White Falcon

#24 Post by White Falcon »

Sweet

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#25 Post by Captainkirk »

Sorry Joe, late to the party on the reply. Yes, KennyM is a sponsor here and he sells blanks you finish yourself. Perfect for the guy who doesn't have time or materials to glue up the rough bow but can take the time to finish it!
Aim small, miss small!

Dan

#26 Post by Dan »

Here’s a link to the blank I finished
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3685

joe harrod1945

#27 Post by joe harrod1945 »

beautiful bow dan

Longtrad

#28 Post by Longtrad »

I agree the bow blank would also be a great choice, you get to pick your length, weight, and woods, plus you get to shape the grip just how you like it.

joe harrod1945

#29 Post by joe harrod1945 »

I choose 2 bows 1 recurve 1 longbow by black hunter.The recurve bow shoots a tad faster but i like the long bow best.Set brace height 7 3/4 " no stack on the 2.Really like the handle on them.A low grip is hard on my shoulder.These bows are 50@ 28" so i am shooting 27" probably 48#.Thanks James for the advice.I think the arrow is the most critical than the bow.455 gr arrow for practice an later heavier arrow.15yds is the max now maybe 20 later.It depends on how i progress.I have read alot about form .My form is ingrained in me for a long time an seems natural pick a small spot an shoot it "simple".At my close range it does not matter.To me shooting long ranges is accident waiting to happen.If you have the fear of wounding a deer do not take it.But so many do not really care.I guess they want to brag.When i get one i thank the lord above for the good meat an the pleasure of the hunt.

Grizzly

#30 Post by Grizzly »

When I was shooting all the time, I began to notice a disc near my neck react to the constant vibrations from my recurves. Most were in the low 40's. When Bob Gordon was still converting Hoyt Spectra risers and a few others to accept ILF limbs and naming them WARFs, after his dog, I bought one that he had done, from Rod Jenkins when I was lucky enough to be asked if I'd like to join up with Rod and Trish at Cloverdale one year. I was alone and following them and really appreciated the offer. I was glad to receive a few tips on my shooting and a chance to watch their form. That bow had a little lead in the lower limb pocket and it absorbed most of the vibration before it ever reached my neck. It was super accurate and pretty fast also. Just like with handguns, if you get a super light one, you feel the recoil. Add some weight to a riser and maybe even a short stabilizer and that shock that would normally transfer into you is absorbed in the bow and even a heavier arrow.

I only owned a hybrid longbow for a short time. A piece of wood splintered off of the riser and so the maker offered to refund me what I had in it. If the grip he made had fit as well as the ones I shot at Cloverdale another year, I would have kept it, with repairs or taken another. I've ran a few 3d coarses with some over the years and really, even though I love how they look, I simply prefer my recurves.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “Practice/Training”