Booked myself an ocellated turkey hunt!

Bears, big cats, exotic and African game hunting with trad gear
dhaverstick

Booked myself an ocellated turkey hunt!

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

I don't know what it is about this critter but I have had a hankering to hunt them with a bow for almost 20 years. Finally, I got off my lazy backside and booked a hunt for 2020. It will take place in the state of Campeche, Mexico a few hours north of Merida. The outfitter down there is Snook Inn Hunting owned by Jorge Sansores. His booking agent in the US is Ted Jaycox of Tall Tine Outfitters in Ocala, FL.

A writer friend of mine, Bill Cooper, is a good friends with Jorge and Bill was the one who finally got me to pull the trigger. I even broke down at the UBM Festival last weekend and commissioned a new bow for the hunt. It is a 54" recurve made by my good friend Mike Dunnaway of Wild Horse Creek Bows. He might even have it done in time for me to chase birds this year in Missouri.

This is the last animal on my bucket list and I am very excited about going on this adventure!

Darren

Graps

Re: Booked myself an ocellated turkey hunt!

#2 Post by Graps »

Wow, hope you connect.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures and the story.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Greg Felty

#3 Post by Greg Felty »

Good luck. I didn't know they even existed.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

I was totally unaware of that version of turkey! But if it's the last on your "bucket list", maybe you oughta put it off a couple of years...just sayin'. 8-)
Aim small, miss small!

White Falcon

#5 Post by White Falcon »

That would be my dream hunt!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

That sounds awesome Darren, I look forward to the updates, and your write up (hopefully) after the hunt!

dhaverstick

#7 Post by dhaverstick »

Captainkirk wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:46 am I was totally unaware of that version of turkey! But if it's the last on your "bucket list", maybe you oughta put it off a couple of years...just sayin'. 8-)
I guess I should clarify what I think of as a bucket list. I've really only had three animals on it: moose, caribou, and ocellated turkeys. I killed a moose in 2015, killed a caribou in 2017, and now have plans for the bird.

That doesn't mean I'm hanging it up, though. I'm moose hunting again in British Columbia this October and I wouldn't mind trying to fill the turkey world slam. I still love hunting whitetails and wouldn't mind maybe chasing some of those in Alberta. Elk have never really tickled my fancy but if I could hunt them in lower elevations (thin air is hard on my asthma) I would do that too.

I guess I'm saying that once I kill an ocellated turkey, all my real itchy spots will have been scratched.

Darren

stumper

#8 Post by stumper »

Once you stop inching. Something is bound to happen. Living vicariously on your threads!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Elkman
Site Admin

#9 Post by Elkman »

Wow, that is a cool looking turkey.

Good luck Darren.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Graps

#10 Post by Graps »

I had not heard of these turkeys.
I looked them up and found a place where I can get some.
They are only $2000.00 a piece and they are not cold climate compatible.
And even if you can keep them alive, they rarely reproduce in captivity.
I wonder if the coyotes here would respectfully leave them alone?🤔
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Return to “Exotic and Dangerous Game”