Question for Colorado elk hunters

Share your elk hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt elk. Ask any questions you may have about elk hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to elk hunting
Longbowfanatic

Question for Colorado elk hunters

#1 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Hi everyone,

A buddy and I are planning an archery elk hunt in CO in a few years. We want to purchase an OTC tag and do a DIY hunt. We are most likely going to do a truck camping style of hunt. Does anyone have any recommendations on GMU's they have hunted that are open to OTC tags? Of course I am not asking for the coordinates to your favorite elk Honey Hole, just a unit that that maybe you have hunted in the past that was enjoyable and a place where newbie elk hunters could cut their teeth. Also any contacts of ranchers with horses to haul out an elk, in the event assistance is needed, would be great info too.

I'm going to be doing a lot of research on CO. Game & Parks website, but I thought if any of you had some helpful tips, that would be great.

fisherick

Re: Question for Colorado elk hunters

#2 Post by fisherick »

The Colorado Parks & Wildlife are in the process of planning game seasons and dates for 2020-2024 hunting seasons and conducted a survey in January. Apparently there is a major push to close NR archery OTC elk tags statewide and make all GMUs archery Limited Draw Units. This may be the last year of archery OTC elk tags.
Only licensed outfitters are allowed to assist with game retrieval.
I have only hunted GMU 42-43 OTC and found it to be crowded, but elk are there and you must cover a lot of ground to find them.

Longbowfanatic

#3 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Thanks, fish!

Jamesh76

#4 Post by Jamesh76 »

I have hunted elk. However, not in Colorado. There are stats available if you google them which show elk populations, hunter v kill statistics etc. A good paper topo map book of the state would be beneficial. The biggest thing I learned when I was in Montana, No matter how good of shape us flat landers feel we are in it is not good enough. Start now physically preparing yourself by eating right and walking 3x a week with a weighted pack. Some people I know even push mow their yards wearing a alice pack with 45 pound weight in it. Search for gear lists and evaluate what you need and what is light weight. I understand hunting from a truck type camp. Buy you really should consider that as a base camp and walk in several miles to a spike type camp. Call the DNR/Wildlife office and get a local game wardens phone number. As you know wardens are typically great for sharing information. :)

Jamesh76

#5 Post by Jamesh76 »

I just seen a thread on this topic on leatherwall aka bowsite

Longbowfanatic

#6 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Thanks, guys. Great info.

White Falcon

#7 Post by White Falcon »

This is what I do!