1st Generation Bulldog .44 Special

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
White Falcon

Re: 1st Generation Bulldog .44 Special

#21 Post by White Falcon »

Don't know if this will help any. Thought it was interesting.

White Falcon

#22 Post by White Falcon »

Had to resize pic.
Attachments
9eaf661ad4c02664772cee62c9c382ea.jpg
9eaf661ad4c02664772cee62c9c382ea.jpg (82.92 KiB) Viewed 233 times

Grizzly

#23 Post by Grizzly »

Thanks for trying to help. You never know when someone will say something that is that magic pill you need. I've seen this target recommended before, so I googled the picture.
I learned something I never knew about that target. To get value from the target, you must:
https://pistol-training.com/archives/292
1. Shoot one handed
2. Use the appropriate target (right or left handed)
3. Shoot slowly
4. Have a perfect sight picture for every shot

I'll bet this is an aid from the old Bullseye shooting days when one handed was the way many competed. Also, they were using full size pistols weighting 35-40+ ounces with 5 or 6 inch barrels.

This little jewel is 3" and 19 ounces and shot two handed. To add to all the confusion. I shoot it left. The first tech who filed the front sight shot it left. The second tech shoots it right!!!!!!!!!!!! grr. This is why you never recommend these light weight snubs to beginners. They can be difficult to master. Years ago, I could run a bowing pin table with my wife's 3" steel Smith and Wesson model 36 .38special small frame 21 ounce snub as fast as guys with full size guns - and hit all 5 pins in 4 to 5 seconds. I could get into 3 1/2 seconds with my 6" model 14 and probably faster than that If I'd bought an L frame with more barrel weight. But, as they say, that was over 30 years ago. The only thing that is still the same are the guns in the safe. I sure ain't. :roll:

I was pretty sure it was no longer me when I switched to the more narrow rubber grips and both sa and da hit the same point of impact - a little too far to the left. Now by comparison, I had a 2" Taurus 85 that also shot about the same amount left. You would immediately think, well there's the problem YOU shoot these little guns left, BUT, you could easily see that the threads in the frame were not drilled square for the barrel and the barrel was pointing off to the left when you held it up and closely inspected it. I had a gunsmith notice that before I got rid of it.

Never buy a new production revolver on line, they must be inspected because they are having so much trouble getting the barrels on straight and turned just perfect to line up with the frame. Look at 6 models of the same revolver on a shelf and most of them will be tightened too much or not enough causing the sights to be too far to the left or the right on these fixed sight revolvers.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

stumper

#24 Post by stumper »

Hmm my special revolver is a 70s state department stamped model 13 357 and is a joy to shoot. The k frame on that revolver really makes for a nice shooter. I don't know much about Bulldogs but will probably get a 44 mag handgun here soonish to match the 44 mag rifle I just bought. Probably get a Redhawk.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#25 Post by Captainkirk »

Redhawk is a mastodon of a gun...heavy, with a fairly "lawyer-ish" DA pull on the trigger. I much prefer my Super Blackhawk even though it is a S/A. For a DA revolver in .44M I might suggest one of the Smiths.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#26 Post by stumper »

Captainkirk wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:08 am Redhawk is a mastodon of a gun...heavy, with a fairly "lawyer-ish" DA pull on the trigger. I much prefer my Super Blackhawk even though it is a S/A. For a DA revolver in .44M I might suggest one of the Smiths.
I have also been looking at the super black hawk hunter. I already have a black hawk in 45 colt and love it so I may go that route. I know this is gonna sound like blasphemy but I dont really care for smiths anymore. Their quality in recent years has seemed to decline.

Grizzly

#27 Post by Grizzly »

I scoped a .44 Super Blackhawk Hunter back in the 90's for hunting. I brought a paper plate with 1 1/2" circle blacked in with two holes in it. When I told my service manager that one was from 25 yards and the other from 100 yards, he never believed a thing I said after that. They both hit the black with the same dead on hold. It was a pretty decent pistol and was a good hunter, but could not hold a tight group without always throwing 2 shots a little outside of the group. I simply lined up the cylinder to one of the marked chambers that always stayed within the group when hunting. The first deer with it was at 115 yards.

They are pretty heavy with that large rib and a scope. Even without the scope they don't have that enjoyable feel that my 4 5/8 New Model .45 Colt does.

I had a blue Redhawk in .44 and 7 1/2" many moons ago. Was glad to be able to trade it off. We shot alot of bowling pin matches then. I tried a friends stainless 5 1/2" .44 Redhawk and did like that quite a bit. Actually, it's stock grip fit my hand better than the larger Smith N frame grip did. Too large for me.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Grizzly

#28 Post by Grizzly »

stumper wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:31 am Hmm my special revolver is a 70s state department stamped model 13 357 and is a joy to shoot. The k frame on that revolver really makes for a nice shooter. I don't know much about Bulldogs but will probably get a 44 mag handgun here soonish to match the 44 mag rifle I just bought. Probably get a Redhawk.
I love the double action of a K frame. I always thought a 3" model 13 was what I'd get for concealed carry. A few months back, I ran across an old discontinued Rossi 5 shot, 3" model 720 in .44 Special. These have a cult following and I can see why. Think of a 30 ounce, 3" L frame Smith with a 5 round .44 special cylinder. It would be over half a pound lighter and maybe 6 ounces lighter than a 3" model 13. The only reason I walked away was that even at 30 ounces empty, it was heavier than what I'd want to carry around all day, everyday, everywhere.

The Bulldog is 19 ounces and tends to shoot itself loose after a box of shells, but I own 3 screwdrivers that fit it perfectly and it is a joy to carry and points and shoots nearly perfectly for me. I finally got to put my hands on a 3" 13 at a gun show. As much as I love shooting those K frames, I knew right then and there that it was just too heavy for me, for what i wanted. Now, if I was 20 years younger, it might be a different story. I'm sure the 3" Smith and Wessons have a larger following than the 3" Charter Arms Bulldogs do. They are simply more solid and the actions can't even be compared.

Have fun picking out your .44

stumper

#29 Post by stumper »

Thanks grizzly. My every day carry is actually a ruger lcr 357 at 19 oz 5 shot. It's a joy to carry and shoot with 38 loads. 357 out of that little 17/8" barrel are a handful but not unbearable. The lcr has a better stock trigger than my friends performance center 686 which runs 1200 bucks ga 425. Now the Smith looks much nicer than the lcr but I like the look if the 700 super black hawk or redhawk better and I am sure I can get the trigger tuned for much less than the 500 dollar price difference.

stumper

#30 Post by stumper »

Grizzly you inspired me. Now that I have a 44 rifle I had to get a light weight 44 mag handgun to match. Was looking at bull dog but decided to get the tracker.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”