What my generation needs

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
stumper

What my generation needs

#1 Post by stumper »

Last night I was browsing YouTube and based on watching old archery videos, YouTube suggested an old video by John Schultz a student of Howard Hill.

https://youtu.be/KjzjAixs9cc

It's a four parter and needless to say, I was sucked into the video and 40 minutes later had watched an amazing show of archery. I found the argument for the Hill style of shooting extremely convincing and was throughly impressed that not only was Hill able to shoot so well, but Schultz and even Schultz's son. If they could all shoot so well, why can't I learn to "hit em like Howard"... as a three under instinctive shooter I have shot some impressive groups but not to the consistancy or accuracy as described in the video.

In short I decided to pursue the method, and switch to split and see if I could learn to hit em like Howard... I am not so pompous to think that I will be the next Howard Hill but I stand convinced that there is something to this method... so here is the thread of my journey. As described in video two I began shooting for form not accuracy and after 30 minutes of practice starting at 5 yards and moving back 1 yard everytime I shot an under 1 inch group. By the end of the session I was back past 20 yards shooting more consistently than I ever have. I am extremely inspired and am going to put in the time. After watching this video, I believe that what traditional archery needs, what my generation needs is another Howard Hill. Let's see how this goes and we will see If Schultz can teach me, and maybe a country boy like me can learn to hit em like Howard. Pictures to follow....
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Grizzly

Re: What my generation needs

#2 Post by Grizzly »

When my Grandsons were still young and we went to many 3d shoots together, someone bought me an expanded cd of the Errol Flynn "Robin Hood". I grew up with that version and always enjoy watching it. So the boys watched it with me. At the end were a few Howard Hill clips. So we watched them also until, to my horror, he placed first an apple and then a smaller prune and finally a grape on a table with the intention of shooting a "William Tell" off someones head. Howard was actually shooting these off the mans head with broadheads if I remember right. Strange thing to put in a kids video, but those were different times. What I don't understand is how the arrow ricocheted off a straw target with a broadhead on and coming back at the target "volunteer".

I remember when I tried many different styles of shooting. Eventually, like a computer that receives too many commands, I got to a point where even my original and comfortable form was mixed up with everything else. It took a while for me to straighten myself out again. My old signature block at the end of a post was, "If you can't remember where you left your shoes and socks, a shooting system may not be for you".

Of coarse we are all different and some of us can switch without that happening. You may be blessed with more natural ability, also. Hill was probably blessed with a large strong body, along with natural ability and a desire to succeed in whatever he did. I've seen folks with little to no training, outshoot the whole group on their first 3d shoot with trad equipment. Others, must rely on good coaching and years of practice to achieve a high level of accuracy at many distances and conditions. The generations before us grew up competing in field shooting which makes our 3d look like child's play. I was living out in the country at the time and missed all the excitement, but archery got to the level that bowling did as far as popularity in it's day. Just look at the vast array of designs there were.
Here is the whole film clip that the William Tell shot came from. it's at the end.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

I've shot Hill style my whole life.
I played around with a few other ways of shooting like gap.
The inline back tension way of shooting made me so I couldn't shoot at all confidently and whenever I see it discussed on line, I avoid it like the plague.
The internet has some valuable information but there is way more garbage than good.
I have several friends that shoot traditional and refuse to look at traditional archery sites because they have less tolerance for the nonsense that is posted.
I myself have all but turned away myself. This site is the only one that I'm active on and one other one that I hit and miss.
Every once in a while I seriously think of quiting all online conversations. But I'm still hanging in here.
And my biggest frustration is with how things are made way toooooo complicated. :x
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#4 Post by stumper »

Havent got to practice much since this day because I've been out of town....hopefully update soon.

joe harrod1945

#5 Post by joe harrod1945 »

I agree 100% what happened to the old times when you just went out an had fun.I have try all the methods, people are too serious.shoot what works for you an the heck with the rest.shoot your natural way an have fun an not worry about it.we are what we are.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

Although I also keep going back to the old “Don’t try to fix it, just enjoy it” shooting method whatever it is, I must admit that I have picked up a few things that have helped me by reading after some of the “internet shooting guru’s”. Most of it only confuses me, but sometimes I miss even the simple, I never noticed myself short drawing for example, or plucking the release, so I give some credit. But yes I know these are no brainers anyhow. :oops: :lol:
I agree that it is over complicated, simplicity is what brought me to trad, had no idea that it could become more complicated that wheelie bows! :mrgreen: :oops: :shock:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

Carpdaddy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:57 am Although I also keep going back to the old “Don’t try to fix it, just enjoy it” shooting method whatever it is, I must admit that I have picked up a few things that have helped me by reading after some of the “internet shooting guru’s”. Most of it only confuses me, but sometimes I miss even the simple, I never noticed myself short drawing for example, or plucking the release, so I give some credit. But yes I know these are no brainers anyhow. :oops: :lol:
I agree that it is over complicated, simplicity is what brought me to trad, had no idea that it could become more complicated than wheelie bows! :mrgreen: :oops: :shock:

stumper

#8 Post by stumper »

Little update. So been having a hard time getting a consistent anchor point with split finger. So I have kinda hybridized the method. Same draw and same release as schultz describes, only shot 3 under. I think just the way my face and short squat body is I have a hard time getting aligned under an eye split finger. I get great groups but am always 3 to 4 inches to left, which tells me my form is consistent but my alignment is off. I am trying to shot as natural as possible without thinking much while shooting. Thinking to much is a receipe for disaster.

So here I am practicing at approximately 20 meters. These were my last two groups right in a row with the camo bow I call sagittarius. I definitely have a friend in this bow and like it so much more that I can see the riser. Pictures are backward.
Attachments
20190626_141007_resize_2.jpg
20190626_141007_resize_2.jpg (34.14 KiB) Viewed 322 times
Closer view is second group
Closer view is second group
20190626_140443_resize_71.jpg (94.93 KiB) Viewed 322 times
Second group
Second group
20190626_140439_resize_51.jpg (116.42 KiB) Viewed 322 times
The bow
The bow
20190626_140415_resize_64.jpg (67.54 KiB) Viewed 322 times
Where I'm shooting from
Where I'm shooting from
20190626_140405_resize_24.jpg (66.96 KiB) Viewed 322 times
First group
First group
20190626_140257_resize_62.jpg (108.88 KiB) Viewed 322 times

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

That's good shooting.
I assume you aim down the shaft and do not shoot instinctive?
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#10 Post by stumper »

Captainkirk wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:45 pm That's good shooting.
I assume you aim down the shaft and do not shoot instinctive?
I shoot instinctive, but for some reason when shooting split, my mind would not compensate for the left and I'm not sure why.

Return to “Practice/Training”