Non Resident Hunt Challenge

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Jamesh76

Re: Non Resident Hunt Challenge

#11 Post by Jamesh76 »

Surely someone else has something to share?

Elkman
Site Admin

#12 Post by Elkman »

On August 12, 2019 leftover special permits and licenses that did not sell in our Montana drawings will go on sale on a first come, first served basis. These are generally valid for antlerless deer (deer B), cow elk (elk B), and doe/fawn antelope. In addition some over-the-counter deer B, elk B and antelope B licenses will go on sale at the same time. These licenses and permits can be purchased online, over-the-counter, or by downloading a paper application (the latter is not recommended due to first come, first served basis).

https://app.mt.gov/als/index/index.html
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Jamesh76

#13 Post by Jamesh76 »

Nice. What is the outlook tower just east of Darby? I hunted elk there before. Never could get over the mule deer there unit 270? I know it's a tough draw but some of the best muleys I ever seen. Is it still that way?

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#14 Post by Carpdaddy »

One of my favorite places, Land Between the Lakes, Western Ky. ($20 use permit + Lic)
Hunted there about 25 years straight.
Website... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Betw ... ation_Area
Map... arcgis-explorer://?itemID=6c69d92c92234b90a7cfe8bd82667814
License.. https://fw.ky.gov/Licenses/Pages/Fees.aspx

Elkman
Site Admin

#15 Post by Elkman »

Jamesh76 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:42 pm Nice. What is the outlook tower just east of Darby? I hunted elk there before. Never could get over the mule deer there unit 270? I know it's a tough draw but some of the best muleys I ever seen. Is it still that way?
Deer Mountain?

Yes, still good bucks and a tough draw. We now need a special permit for Bull Elk in 270. It's unlimited. If you apply, you get it. At least residents do.

Here is a link to our hunting regs for anyone interested.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/regulations/

Jamesh76

#16 Post by Jamesh76 »

Yeah, that's it. I seen many bucks pushing 190 there. Why the bull elk special permit now? Any grizz in that area yet?

Elkman
Site Admin

#17 Post by Elkman »

Jamesh76 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:56 pm Yeah, that's it. I seen many bucks pushing 190 there. Why the bull elk special permit now? Any grizz in that area yet?
There have been a few Griz over the years on either side of the Bitterroot Valley. They caught one near the Stevensville golf course earlier this year. A young one, he was kinda lost.

The Bull to cow ratio in low, so they are trying to get the numbers back up. As you have herd the wolves really did a number on our Elk numbers on our public lands and some of the large ranches. Those that were not killed are staying in the lower foothill areas on private ground making it more difficult to get to them. That's not the case everywhere, but it sure is around parts of the valley here.

One cool thing about it is we often now can here them bugling near the house here.

Nock

#18 Post by Nock »

Our gun season starts second Saturday in November and runs till thanksgiving. All the public ground will be packed FYI. I’d avoid those times. Me personally the last week of October and first week of November is where it’s at. Pre rut is starting and first week of November is usually wide open weather pending.
Happiness is a tight chain!

Nock

#19 Post by Nock »

Sorry this is KY I’m talking about.
Happiness is a tight chain!

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”