Humble arrows

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
stumper

Re: Humble arrows

#41 Post by stumper »

Captainkirk wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:20 pm Just stop it, Dave. You know I have a weakness for short bows and Elkseekers. I guess I'm only comforted by the news today that I will be needing another root canal/crown very soon...that oughta swallow up any new bow money I might have scraped up.
You really need one Kirk..... it just blowed the snot out of all the others. Plus we need another build along....
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

#42 Post by Graps »

stumper wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:49 am
Captainkirk wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:20 pm Just stop it, Dave. You know I have a weakness for short bows and Elkseekers. I guess I'm only comforted by the news today that I will be needing another root canal/crown very soon...that oughta swallow up any new bow money I might have scraped up.
You really need one Kirk..... it just blowed the snot out of all the others. Plus we need another build along....
No doubt about that. 🎯👏
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#43 Post by stumper »

Well.... Today I wasnt shooting well... I was trying to tune the back up but I just wasnt having the best of days and wasnt having the consistency to make accurate adjustments. Pro tip: Dont tune when you are having a bad day... I gave up on tuning for the day but I still wanted to shoot. Normally i can switch between bows and shoot a few arrows and be right on the money.... but today wasnt my day.... until I grabbed my elkseeker. This bow has officially ruined me look out for my review shortly. My groups went from 8 inches at 20 yards to consistently 2 inch. My last group of the day was a 1 inch group at 30 yards. I quickly ended the shooting day there rather than push my luck further. The point is I'm being an Indian giver to you all sorry... I see no point in shooting anything but my elkseeker.... I'm building a relationship with this bow unlike anything I have ever had and I just cant shoot my other bows the same. I will tune a back up should the need arise but only if it arises. I mean I am a string builder so I definitely have back up strings. Until then its elkseeker or nothing. I should have my points in next week and I will tune the elkseeker arrows for you all. Linjed below is the article I use to tune. I was attempting to try the clay hayes method this time but I'm going back to my bread and butter. No need to worry about nock direction you shoot groups and it's pretty easy. Results have always been good. Enjoy!

http://www.bestrecurvebowguide.com/tuni ... ow-part-1/

stumper

#44 Post by stumper »

Got my new 190 grain heads we'll see if the weather lets me tune today.

stumper

#45 Post by stumper »

I should have titled this post humbling arrows as they appear to be the 1st arrows that I have bought that no matter what I do wont fly right from this bow. Don't hear what I'm not saying, this bow is easy to tune and shoots beautifully. These arrows are just too stiff despite only being one spine group stiffer than I normally would buy for a bow this weight. I have tried both a 160 grain point increase and now 190 grain point increase and the results are the same too stiff. I also played with brace height and changed to a super thin rest. However on a positive note arrows are flying really really well and pretty close to really really good at full length. So for now I'm gonna leave him full length and see how the broadheads shoot. If broadhead flight is good I will leave them this way until I can afford some weaker arrows. I am going to leave the bare shaft bare and once I can afford the weaker arrows these will be tuned for the camo bow which they are flying weak from and have some room to tune.
Attachments
20191016_114318_resize_70.jpg
20191016_114318_resize_70.jpg (114.71 KiB) Viewed 251 times
20191016_114627_resize_4.jpg
20191016_114627_resize_4.jpg (121.53 KiB) Viewed 251 times

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#46 Post by Captainkirk »

That's 'minute of deer' shooting in my book!
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#47 Post by stumper »

Captainkirk wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:49 am That's 'minute of deer' shooting in my book!
Did not expect new broadheads to be red.. but I will say for all the effort I am enjoying shooting a heavier headed arrow. Final arrow weight is 580.
Attachments
20191016_130616_resize_25.jpg
20191016_130616_resize_25.jpg (51.6 KiB) Viewed 244 times

stumper

#48 Post by stumper »

Here's 7 arrows 30 yards. Little low probably not used to heavier arrows yet.
Attachments
20191016_132244_resize_41.jpg
20191016_132244_resize_41.jpg (122.05 KiB) Viewed 242 times

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#49 Post by Captainkirk »

Yes, and don't forget; when shooting from an elevated stand, you need to hold high to begin with.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#50 Post by stumper »

Indeed. The vpa broadheads are wicked sharp now though.

Return to “All about arrows”