Advice on wood arrows

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
tmattson

Advice on wood arrows

#1 Post by tmattson »

Thinking ahead to a winter project, like to build some wood arrows and start experimenting with them.
Looking for where/who to purchase bare shafts, advice on wood choices, would prefer shafts already finished as far as stained and sealed.
Thanks

stumper

Re: Advice on wood arrows

#2 Post by stumper »

Ok. I like spruce and bear paw archery makes them. +-5 grains weight matched and hand spines only 28 bucks a dozen unfinished from kustom king archery. For prefinished shafts kustom king also sells weight matched hand spines cedars already crested and lacquer dipped for 50 bucks a dozen.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

I'll differ from Dave a bit here and advise that you start out with cedar shafting.
While spruce is a harder,tougher wood for things like stumping, it's also harder to work with in terms of tapering and straightening. I've used spruce, larch (tamarack) and cedar and found cedar to be the most user friendly. Bear Paw's price on the spruce is a hell of a bargain, though...I usually buy through 3Rivers and pay around $39.00/dozen.
Before we go any further though, tell us a bit about your intended use...

1) hunting, stumping/roving, target, 3D, or all of the above?
2) your bow draw weight and draw length?
3) type(s) of bow(s)...longbow, recurve, ILF, etc and length of bow?
4) type of string (Flemish twist, endless loop, fast flight, etc?
5) preferred fletching; 2 fletch, 3 fletch, 4 fletch, helical (left or right), pile (point) type?
6) intended pile/broadhead weight?
7) Off the shelf, or elevated rest?
8) Do you use a plunger?
9) 3 under or split finger?
Hopefully with this info we can help dial you in much quicker.
Also, do you have any arrow building tools yet, and if so, which ones?
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#4 Post by Graps »

"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

For pre-finished/sealed shafts, 3Rivers has those as well, but honestly...finishing is part of the fun for me and helps add your own personal touch to arrows you've made.

Here are a dozen I did with cedar shafts a few years back:

You don't need anything near that fancy, especially just getting your feet wet. But building arrows can get addictive, and the more you do it, the fancier you want them to be!
Aim small, miss small!

Greg Felty

#6 Post by Greg Felty »

Those are some nice arrows Kirk.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Thanks, Greg. They were a hoot to build!
Aim small, miss small!

Hill billy

#8 Post by Hill billy »

I still have a lot of my tools for building woodies. I never felt like I mastered the art. When my time got limited I just went to carbons . My advice is to be patient. There is somthing about a wood arrow that I like. There quiet and weight isnt an issue. And there a whole lot prettier to look at. Show us some picks when you get a batch done. Good luck

Jamesh76

#9 Post by Jamesh76 »

A few build alongs on here you can look up

Return to “All about arrows”