Had to repair my knife sharpener

For all the things we make ourselves for the outdoor world that are not covered in the other specific DIY area.
jaydee2trad

Had to repair my knife sharpener

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

I make most of my knives, made my own 2"x72" belt sander for making them as well(not a thing of beauty but works great.) however I have one of those little electric machines that is sold everywhere. I don't use it that much, but it can be handy when you are in a hurry and don't want to fire up the big sander. I use it mainly for my fillet knife so it doesn't get used much. I went to use it to sharpen the fillet knife when it began coming apart and then locked up. I took it apart and saw that the clear plastic drive wheel had just blown apart from being brittle. So, I tried to get just the plastic drive wheel from the company but kept getting the run a round. finally after giving them the serial number, they told me that it was out of warrenty (duh) and that I would have to order the whole power drive system. I just told them that I would make one, it was afterall a simple drive type wheel. So,after maybe 5 minutes going thru the ole scrap stuff, I found a hard rubber thing like on a door stop that fit the 1/2" drive shaft and met the 3/4" diameter of the drive wheel. I just had to cut some off the end and in minutes had it working great. I tested it with belts etc and it worked great so I put it all back together and sharpened a knife no problem. Cost, maybe a dollar and no more waiting. We use hard rubber wheels for drive wheels on the knife making belt sanders so why not? Now it works and will last even longer. I had told them that I wasn't trying to get anything free, just wanted that one part and would pay. They tried to sell me a new machine but my older one is working just fine.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Had to repair my knife sharpener

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Sounds like we have a lot in common. I have made about everything I could think of and save a dollar on. When old, disabled, and low on funds, you gotta do what you can.
I have made bows, stick arrows, bamboo, knives, quivers, strings, string board, etc...
Po Boy can survive!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Had to repair my knife sharpener

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

That's using the old noggin! Hats off to you for not being bullied into buying a whole new unit, and shame on the manufacturer for being a cheapskate!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “DIY section”