Just gave a Son-n-law a 58 cal

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
jaydee2trad

Just gave a Son-n-law a 58 cal

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

I have or had two 58 cal Zouve muskets. they are reproductions of weapons used in the Civil War and very deadly weapons for sure. But they are also very heavy and not the choice of hunters today for the most part. All of the men/boys (sons and grandsons) have muzzle loaders that they hunt with and like very much except for Jon, a son-n-law. So I offered him the 58 which was bought at a pawn shop 20 plus years ago as a spare. Jon was estactic as he handled the weapon and I explained some about the use of the weapon in the civil war. I also set him up with most of the accessories needed to shoot it. A mold, some powder and bullets, powder measure, ball remover, nipple wrench, patches, lube etc. It was missing a front sight but it is a drift in sight so he can easily get one. It already has a decent trigger pull and is a pretty clean gun. I have already given him a 45 lb Bear Grizzly which he loves. He was full of questions and I had a lot of answers. It just feels good to see that someone appreciates something like that. The other musket is hanging on the log wall above the dining room table with powder horns etc and looks awesome. Everybody ends up there looking at it and admiring it. It will be fun going out with Jon as he shoots it and learns more about it. Yeah, old school stuff is awesome stuff.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Just gave a Son-n-law a 58 cal

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

That's awesome, and the Zoave is one heckuva mean BP gun! Great to see some of the younger generation learning to appreciate trad archery and black powder and the like.
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#3 Post by Elkman »

Very nice Jerry!
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

jaydee2trad

#4 Post by jaydee2trad »

Captainkirk wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:20 am That's awesome, and the Zoave is one heckuva mean BP gun! Great to see some of the younger generation learning to appreciate trad archery and black powder and the like.
the 58 was my first BP big gun. mine had lousy sights that weren't even on straight and a trigger pull of over 20 plus pounds. The gunsmith that I worked for at the time was watching me shoot and came over to tell me to squeeze and not jerk so hard. I loaded it and handed it to him to shoot. After about a minute, he looked back to me and jerked the trigger. Then we went back to the shop and put Williams sights on it plus he showed me how to do a trigger job and got it down to 2 1/2 lbs. Then shooting in the Alamo Muzzle loading gun club, I won a lot of stuff including a pistol and a mold as well as a lot of other stuff. Yeah, a heavy gun but a mean one and brother would it shoot. Then while still working for the gunsmith and a senor in high school, I built a 50 Hawkins style rifle that I won state with. it was not a kit and I still have it but have cut it down for my daughter and son to hunt with it. My wife has taken deer with it as have I. But I love to pistol hunt with my two 50 BP pistols. now maybe I will be able to see good enough to use them again.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”