getting blown at

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
jaydee2trad

getting blown at

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

I used to think that when I heard a deer blowing that I had been busted but now know that it isn't always the case. My son-n-law works for the Arkansas Game and Fish, takes care of either trout or catfish in huge pens in Lake Ouachita. Very close to this operation is a huge chunk of land that gets flooded before spring to be stocked with crappie fry or what ever fry that they want to raise. Then in early summer, the water is let out so all go into the main lake. After this is done, the once water spot greens up with all kinds of browes material. We have seen over a hundred deer at one time scattered all across this place feeding in late summer. So we sneak in to a high spot and watch them and to count bucks. At any given time, one or more deer will be seen and heard blowing hard at some of the others. Don't know why but they do it. So since many different deer groups may have their paths or common areas overlap, it can be sometimes them just letting the other deer know that they know that they are there. Sometimes there is no doubt that they are busting you but sometimes you hear a deer blowing way off from you. Yeah, still could be you but it also could be something else including say a coyote or who knows what. I've been busted by a deer from one direction only to have deer come in from another direction so you just never know.

joe harrod1945

Re: getting blown at

#2 Post by joe harrod1945 »

the reason deer blow is to get a better scent of you. the deer ether seen movement or got a small scent.9 x out of 10 they will circle you to pick up a stronger scent.i was going to my tree stand in the dark jumped 2 deer bed at the bottom of the tree.they ran off an came back about 20 minutes later shot one with my bow.

Greg Felty

#3 Post by Greg Felty »

I have heard deer blow a few times when I know it wasn't me. Have no ideal why they blew just know it wasn't me.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

I had a little 4 point blow at me after he winded me and took off. He sounded really pissed!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”