something about building a selfbow yourself to hunt with

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
jaydee2trad

something about building a selfbow yourself to hunt with

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

I now have several selfbows built and feel pretty good about them. I have a 41# @ 26" Osage that I plan to hunt with this year. Yeah, building that first bow can seem like a mountain of a task but we have at least one good bowyer to help with questions. While I have two heavier bows that I can use, I am limited by recent surgeries to a lighter bow. At this point, I am shooting aluminum, 1816s to be exact for several reasons but again due to restrictions like dust and poor eyesight close in. I have plenty of wood shafts for in the future but it is all about what I can do now so it is what it is. But the more that I shoot this Osage bow, the more in love I am with it.
Oh sure it isn't my Kodiak but it is a bow that I made myself. I am also sure that there are a lot better made bows than mine but I didn't make them. Yeah, I will be keeping it to a close shot this year due to my eye situation and this gives me even more reason to shoot the Osage bow. My shelf is about as close to my hand as you can get without actually shooting off my hand and I love it. As I put another arrow next to the last arrow, I get this awesome feeling about shooting a bow that I made. And did I say that I am going to hunt with it? So don't let the seemingly daunting task of building one keep you from doing it.
Yes, you might break a bow or two, it happens but when you succeed, it can be an awesome thing. I do believe that a first bow should be a board bow or two before you tackle the real deal. I do think that building a laminated bow yourself is a great thing too and I have always wanted to do this as well. I do not mean to take away anything from someone that has done this because it is still building a bow. With a Cherokee and Chickasaw heritage, the cool factor for me with this Osage bow is off the charts. So give it a try, you might really like it. Jerry

Greg Felty

Re: something about building a selfbow yourself to hunt with

#2 Post by Greg Felty »

I wish you good luck on your hunt this year. I'm sure hunting with a bow you made is an awesome feeling, so keep us posted on your journey. Hopefully i will have a home made selfbow next year. I will be hunting with a selfbow but not one om own. Have a graet season
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Jamesh76

#3 Post by Jamesh76 »

I am happy to see your progression in building them. Hope you get a good one!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

I haven’t taken a deer with a selfbow, but I sure know the feeling you are taking about, I have taken several with bows I made myself. Last years Buck was with a bow I built. Actually I made the bow, string, and quiver top. It’s a special feeling hunting with equipment you make yourself, even when not successful, but taking game is certainly icing on the cake!

Nomad

#5 Post by Nomad »

Good luck with the bow this year! I've shot quite a few deer with my own hickory self bows. Tried to find some Osage, but everything I found was really twisted. I guess that is not uncommon with the Osage. Hickory is really tough and forgiving for the new bow maker.

jaydee2trad

#6 Post by jaydee2trad »

Nomad wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:14 pm Good luck with the bow this year! I've shot quite a few deer with my own hickory self bows. Tried to find some Osage, but everything I found was really twisted. I guess that is not uncommon with the Osage. Hickory is really tough and forgiving for the new bow maker.
Very excited to hunt with my self bows, yeah, Osage can be full of character and quite challenging. I have a hickory bow in the works but it may be a while for it. sometimes it is what it is. thanks, Jerry

Return to “The Bowyer”