Pink is for...girls?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Pink is for...girls?

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

For years, I've been ribbing (good-naturedly; in jest) several of my trad shooting forum friends for photos in which they are shooting arrows fletched in pink. "Girly arrows", I called them. One of them gifted me some plain-Jane arrows with no striping or other adornments, which I took with me stumping this year, and was shocked to find that in every single case, I could bury one of these arrows nearly up to the nock while shooting at leaves, bits of rotten stumps, etc and still see the pink fletching from where I stood and released the arrow! Another of our members here told me pink stands out better to the human eye than any other color in the woods, and I agree 100%. More so than fluorescent green or orange. So, all kidding aside, I now am getting set to make up a dozen stumpers fletched in...you guessed it..."Girly Pink"! :D
Aim small, miss small!

dhaverstick

Re: Pink is for...girls?

#2 Post by dhaverstick »

I've been shooting those girly pink arrows for years. Killed this moose in 2015 with one!

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Nothing 'girly' about that moose, Darren!
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Well, got a little grief on one of the other forums for sharing this...mostly guys saying they wouldn't be caught dead shooting pink, or they prefer another color, etc...
Let me make it clear that this is for STUMPING (roving) ARROWS, which generally wind up in the dirt regardless of what or where you are shooting at. Many's the time I've shot at a nice, big rotten stump with a complete pass-thru and the arrow being buried somewhere on the far side. Or shooting at a leaf or piece of bark lying on the ground, and even when you nail it, the arrow goes it's own way into the green ferns and undergrowth. Ferns, as you know, can appear light green in color making even chartreuse fletching very hard to see, especially if you don't know where the arrow went after the hit. As Graps once told me, NOTHING in woodland nature is pink. So even if there's a smidgen of color showing, it should stick out like a sore thumb.
So, I'm shopping online for the materials to make up some genuine stumping arrows for this exact purpose. Once I decide, I'll be sure to do a build thread right here.
Aim small, miss small!

dhaverstick

#5 Post by dhaverstick »

Kirk, I want an arrow I can see in flight and find on the ground. Like you, I try to pick a color that is not part of the surroundings. Pink is about as good as it gets to meet those requirements.

As a side note, I also own and wear several different pink and hot pink shirts. I'm comfortable enough with who I am that I don't give a tinker's damn what others think about it.

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Darren, some guys swear by chartreuse or blaze orange, some by white or blue. However, depending on the season, all these colors can appear in nature. With the obvious exception of roses, I can't say I've come across any pink flora naturally occurring in the woods.
And if they don't like your pink shirts, I say heck with 'em!
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

Been using some 2” bright orange myself and liking them. Show up really well in 3D targets or woods. But pink would probably be great also.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Carpdaddy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:40 pm Been using some 2” bright orange myself and liking them. Show up really well in 3D targets or woods. But pink would probably be great also.
Yes, I agree that orange is pretty easy to see, Tony. Until the fall leaves start turning colors! ;)
You are shooting 2" vanes now?
Aim small, miss small!

Greg Felty

#9 Post by Greg Felty »

image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (51.18 KiB) Viewed 196 times
My hunting arrows
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

Bet ya don't lose many of those, Greg!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “All about arrows”