Not so good

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Not so good

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

My 'time off' from trad due to some medical issues (which are not completely resolved) turned out to have some disappointing results for me! When I finally felt I could safely return to shooting there was one issue I hadn't counted on.
Accuracy.
Not only did I find I have lost a bunch of muscle tone and strength, but my consistency has gone to hell in a handbasket.
I can shoot a decent 2-3" (3 arrow) group at roughly 20 yards, followed by another with arrows 6 inches apart, or even an occasional 'farm boy' (plowing the dirt in front of the block). It seems to worsen with the quantity of shots I'm taking, so I think muscle fatigue is playing a large role here, but MAN! :?
I figured it would be like riding a bicycle. Well, the shooting part is, but not the hitting where I wanna hit part.
I'm sure I will get there. Eventually. But it's pretty disheartening, to say the least! It feels like starting over in many ways.
Anyone else have this issue, and how did you deal with it? I'm not even sure I would feel comfortable taking a 20 yard pop at a deer. 6 inches is a long way from a heart shot. :oops:
Aim small, miss small!

dhaverstick

Re: Not so good

#2 Post by dhaverstick »

I feel your pain, Kirk. For me, some days are good and others...every critter in the forest is safe. When it comes down to actually shooting at an animal, you'll know. Either the opportunity will feel right or it won't. And if it doesn't, just pass and hope for another chance. There's certainly no shame in that.

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Thanks for the encouragement, Darren!
After thinking it through, I believe (as I mentioned) a lot of it is fatigue from muscles that have lost their mojo from the inactivity of a year+ layoff. But I think a lot has to do with form as well, not anchoring consistently or improper follow through. I guess I'll just keep working at it throughout the summer.
Aim small, miss small!

dhaverstick

#4 Post by dhaverstick »

Kirk, that is all you can do...keep working on it. When it comes to traditional archery or traditional muzzleloader hunting, the mantra for me comes from Dirty Harry Calahan - "A man has got to know his limitations." I cannot count the number of deer I have watched walk on by simply because I did not feel comfortable taking the shot offered. Does that bother me? No sir! Why? Because the only person to blame for my shooting inadequacies is me. Yes, it can be frustrating at times but I get over it. I look at those two sports this way: By choosing to use weapons like that for hunting, I have accepted failure before I have even left the house. You have to have a mind set like that with those weapons or you would lose your mind otherwise. Or, which is even worse and grossly unethical, you would have wounded a lot of animals and/or killed some that you never recovered.

I normally practice at 20 yards and usually take deer at distances 3/4 to 1/2 of that. The two times I have moose hunted, I knew I needed to get proficient out to 30 yards. I made a life size moose target and practiced and practiced and practiced. Both times I finally got to where I felt comfortable taking that shot but I knew that the conditions would have to be just so.

You'll get there, buddy. Try not to get too discouraged.

Darren

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

Sounds like you get to enjoy learning all over again, at least you know the basics, it will come back pretty quick I’d say. I use a low poundage bow when working on form, release, and stuff like that. (35#) But most often shoot what I intend to hunt with. (42-43#)

Return to “Practice/Training”