2023 Turkey Season Looks Promising

Show us your trail cam pics
dhaverstick

2023 Turkey Season Looks Promising

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

I've been hearing and seeing these birds for the past 3 weeks down behind the house. Several times they've been as close as 25-30 yards. Mostly I hear them scratching but sometimes there is a lot of yelping, putting and purring. Last week, one of the jakes got all his buddies to join in a gobblefest, which was quite entertaining. I've heard some of the longbeards gobble on the roost, but mostly it's just tree yelping.

Whatever I'm hearing, it's getting me fired up for the season! Of course, by the time April 17th gets here, they'll probably all have flown off to the next county. I'm heading to Mexico on May 10th to hunt Gould's turkeys with a recurve. Needless to say, my season is going to be busy!

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: 2023 Turkey Season Looks Promising

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

I'd call that a "full house", Darren.
Good luck on the Gould's. Be looking forward to your article in TBM when you bag one!
Aim small, miss small!

dhaverstick

#3 Post by dhaverstick »

Thanks, Kirk! It should be a good hunt. They have a bunch of birds there so all I need is to get a blind, dumb one to come within 5 yards or so.

I have a turkey hunting story in the new edition of the Compton Archives. TJ Conrads contacted me last year asking for a story and a recipe for cooking them. I went with an Ozarks favorite, pan fried turkey breast.

Darren

Elkman
Site Admin

#4 Post by Elkman »

Looks like a done deal if they don't move for some reason.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Return to “Trail cam photos”