Made a pretty good haul during Missouri's squirrel opener

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
dhaverstick

Made a pretty good haul during Missouri's squirrel opener

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

Despite the rain, wind, cicadas, and occasional tornado, Ole Betsy and I managed to get out a few times around the house and bring home a few bushytails. Sunday morning, after the early monsoon, I was able to get two. Monday morning, I only got one. The dense foliage combined with them never sitting still this time of year makes it hard for me to get a clear shot. Monday evening, though, the Hunting Gods smiled upon me. I stepped out on the porch after supper "to see a man about a horse" and heard one barking behind the house. So I ran back in, got my hunting stuff, and went after him. In ten minutes time, I had killed two, with most of that time spent reloading (I'm slow). I had to walk almost 50 yards from the house and then back! I am wore slick now, but it's a good kind of tired.

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Made a pretty good haul during Missouri's squirrel opener

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Nice shootin' Tex! Make sure you let Betsy know you appreciate her!
Say, what is that contraption on the tree...some sorta squirrel can opener?
Aim small, miss small!

dhaverstick

#3 Post by dhaverstick »

Captainkirk wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:44 pm Nice shootin' Tex! Make sure you let Betsy know you appreciate her!
Say, what is that contraption on the tree...some sorta squirrel can opener?
That, Kirk, is a Ridge Runner Original Small Game Skinner. My wife refuses to help me skin tree rats, and I got tired of cutting myself and dropping carcasses in the dirt, so I went looking for other options. That is what I settled on. It takes some getting used to, but once you figure out your process, it makes things a lot easier. I got that one from Okie Dog Supply, but a lot of places sell them.

Darren

Elkman
Site Admin

#4 Post by Elkman »

Very nice Darren, looks like a fun way to hunt the squirrels.

I haven't hunted for squirrels since I was a teenager down in South Carolina. I was a Navy brat for a while back in the 70's.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

dhaverstick

#5 Post by dhaverstick »

Elkman wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:59 am Very nice Darren, looks like a fun way to hunt the squirrels.

I haven't hunted for squirrels since I was a teenager down in South Carolina. I was a Navy brat for a while back in the 70's.
Tom, when I was a kid, I couldn't get enough of squirrel hunting. However, like most boys, as I got older I started chasing bigger game and girls and I kinda got out of it. After I took up black powder hunting, it was like being a kid all over again. I'm back to a single shot weapon that I have to get close with. Smokepoles are ideal for squirrels!

Darren

Elkman
Site Admin

#6 Post by Elkman »

Most of my Squirrel hunts were with a 20 gauge. Every now a then we were in an area where we could use a 22.
Pine Squirrels are about all I see out here in my hunting areas I frequently go to.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”