I have been a bad boy.

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: I have been a bad boy.

#21 Post by Captainkirk »

Longtrad wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:04 pm Black is not my favorite but the phenolic bears has a certain class to them that you can’t deny. The strings came in today. Tomorrow should be fun !
I realize there are waaaaaaay better and faster bows out there than vintage Bears. But they are a class act, and I attach history to them, such as my '64 Tamerlane...one can imagine this one rolling off the assembly line while the world was freaking out about the JFK assassination. And the Super K rolling off during the lunar landing, all a direct link to our nation's history. And every time I draw these bows I'm marveling at the fact they are 50+ years old and still shoot as well as they ever did, though their original owners are probably long gone. And yes, the phenolic Bears are part of that history story. You have some real dandies there. Love them, and they'll love you right back.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#22 Post by Longtrad »

Captainkirk wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:29 pm
Longtrad wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:04 pm Black is not my favorite but the phenolic bears has a certain class to them that you can’t deny. The strings came in today. Tomorrow should be fun !
I realize there are waaaaaaay better and faster bows out there than vintage Bears.
IDK this polar is shooting the same arrow I had tuned to my big jim mountain monarch (sold that thing) knock left. I have a fairly thick sideplate on it too. I was surprised.

The big jim was cut to center or maybe just past, i dont remember, and was 4 or 5 pounds heavier.

Makes me wonder how it would preform if I could get someone to remake it with modern materials.

Jamesh76

#23 Post by Jamesh76 »

Longtrad wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:21 pm Back at it again after a long break. Never lost my love for trad archery, life just became too busy.
The same for me. Ever since I had an elbow surgery a couple years ago, I have not been able to shoot enough to feel comfortable hunting with Trad, so I don't. I still shoot from time to time, I still make bows, I still have the passion, just not the ability to shoot enough and hunt with a trad bow. Recently became a grandpa. Currently have 1 Osage bow in the making for a gentleman who lets my son and I antelope hunt. Will be going again this coming September. I do check in from time to time and see what you all are up too. However, time and current hunting practices are just different.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#24 Post by Captainkirk »

Jamesh76 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 5:57 pm
Longtrad wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:21 pm Back at it again after a long break. Never lost my love for trad archery, life just became too busy.
The same for me. Ever since I had an elbow surgery a couple years ago, I have not been able to shoot enough to feel comfortable hunting with Trad, so I don't. I still shoot from time to time, I still make bows, I still have the passion, just not the ability to shoot enough and hunt with a trad bow. Recently became a grandpa. Currently have 1 Osage bow in the making for a gentleman who lets my son and I antelope hunt. Will be going again this coming September. I do check in from time to time and see what you all are up too. However, time and current hunting practices are just different.
Glad to see you back, James! We missed you and your great hunting chronicles. I get it that you can't hunt trad at the moment, but that shouldn't stop you from hangin' out and jabbering with us! :D
Aim small, miss small!

Jamesh76

#25 Post by Jamesh76 »

Captainkirk wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 6:24 pm
Jamesh76 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 5:57 pm
Glad to see you back, James! We missed you and your great hunting chronicles. I get it that you can't hunt trad at the moment, but that shouldn't stop you from hangin' out and jabbering with us! :D
yeah I know. made a few flint head knives today. nothing special as i cant knap, but they are cool displays.

Return to “Campfire”