Tell me a story

Announcements for Great hunts, Traditional Bows and Hunting Gear Giveaways
Forum rules
You must be over the age of 18 to be in hunt draws. If you win a hunt or a Traditional bow you are not eligible to win that category prize again for one year. Good luck.
Tradman

Tell me a story

#1 Post by Tradman »

I want to hear the best yarn you can spin about a hunting trip.Let your mind run wild.The winner wins something pretty cool.You wont know what it is until you open it up.Let er rip tater chip. :roll:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

Graps

Re: Tell me a story

#2 Post by Graps »

It was about 40 years ago , mid October and my friend Mike offered to drop me off in the National Forest near Luther Michigan .
I was very set in my mind that I wanted to do a wilderness hunt all alone . I was to be out there for a week . I had an ice chest with eggs , bacon and two loaves of bread . The rest of my food would come from what I would forage and hunt with my bow or slingshot .
I had four broadheads and two blunts . I also had a small bag of marbles for the slingshot . Archery deer season was open as well as small game , so I was all set . What could possibly go wrong ?
The first two days were very productive , I had taken two rabbits and one squirrel . I did fire a warning shot at a grouse with a blunt and lost the arrow . Oh well ,still had one blunt and four broadheads .
The deer sign was a little sparse . So I decided to try in the swamp that was about a half mile from my camp .
The swamp is called The Big Bear Swamp of Luther . It is a few miles wide and over twenty miles long . It is filled with cedar trees and very tight underbrush .
The third morning I was cooking bacon and eggs in my dutch oven lid and I noticed that there was a very thick fog rolling in . It was so thick that with my flashlight I could only see a few feet . So I decided to wait until light before I headed to the swamp .
I had to check my compass very often just to keep on the right path to the swamp . The eerie thing was with no rain for a few weeks , the ground was soaking wet and I could walk silent as long as I didn't step on a twig .
Made it to the edge of the swamp and started my way in , very slow and constantly sweeping my eyes for what I could see . I found a very well used deer run and I decided to sit in a blow down that made a very good natural blind .
After about an hour , I was able to see a little further because the fog was letting up a little . I could see a tree that seemed to be broken off about ten feet above the ground . This seemed odd to me because there were no other trees in the area that had damage like that , so couldn't have been wind damage .
As I pondered the tree a nice twelve point buck wandered down the deer run towards me . He stopped about fifteen yards from me but seemed very nervous . I didn't think it was me because he was looking slightly in a different direction from me . I just held tight because he was head on to me and there was no good shot .
He then stomped his foot and turned sideways to me and I let fly with a good shot . He ran off and then there was silence for about a few minutes . Then in the direction the deer was looking I heard a twig snap . I wondered what it could be . Then a little ways closer to where the deer had ran I heard another stick break . That was a big stick that would take a lot of force to snap . I started to get a little nervous and curious .
I got up and slowly got to where the deer was and found the blood trail . Started trailing it and I noticed that there were large foot prints next to the trail .
I saw the deer up ahead and it appeared to be pulled apart at the back quarters . There was a large hump moss covered looking object next to the deer that for some reason made me feel uneasy .
I stood where I was for quite some time just watching intently and wondering why the deer looked like that . I finally started closer and when I was just a few feet away the hump rose up and it was enormous ! It looked like a man with hair all over and had to be at least eight feet tall . For a moment I was petrified , I pulled an arrow and it stepped toward me and I shot . Missed , grabbed another , dropped it , grabbed the last broadhead and missed again . Now it was coming after me , all I had left was a blunt . Knocked it and I was staring it in the eyes , and the next thing I remember was the thing running away with the arrow stuck in one of its eyes .
I ran back to my campsite as fast as I could and I was scared out of my mind . I stayed there with the fire going and all I had left was my slingshot .
I had to wait until the next day for my friend to show up . When he did I decided not to tell what had happened for fear that I would be thought crazy.
He asked me how things went and I told him about the small game . He ribbed me all the way home about loosing all my arrows . But that was OK , I made it out alive and that was all that mattered mattered to me .
I have never shared this with anybody till now .
I did hear that some old guy claimed to see a Big Foot a few years later that had only one eye .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Gonna be tough to beat
Aim small, miss small!

Tradman

#4 Post by Tradman »

Spin me a yarn man.you're supposed to make it up.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Once upon a time I was hunting near Luther, MI. I was perched at nosebleed heights in an old oak that was older than Moses in my stand that I had hung blind drunk in the middle of the night, left-handed, and heard branches cracking and moving my way, so I concentrated on the sound in a Zen-like trance, and drew back my Bear Grizzly 45# recurve just as whatever it was stepped into my shooting lane. A stench like rotting garbage mixed with swamp moss assailed my olfactories, causing my eyes to water, and then to ooze blood, but I wiped it away with a careless brush of the back of my hand....Lo and behold, it was Yeti, with a blunt sticking out of his eye, obviously placed there by some blundering hack with a bow! Not to be outdone by Graps, I released the Bear Razorhead-tipped shaft and watched with great satisfaction as it flew true and unerring at 500fps, and then as it clove the blunt nock and shaft so strategically placed by the hack clean in two, turned south and field dressed and skinned the Yeti before exiting...at 100 yards. They don't call 'em Razorheads for nothin', Jack. Oh, and I had my eyes closed....
Using my bow as a springpole, I vaulted from my stand 200 feet up in the oak and landed, catlike, on two feet astride the now field-dressed Yeti...but he had vanished like the morning fog and as nowhere to be seen. All that was left was the neatly folded and tanned skin which vaporized under my weight leaving me standing on the soft cushion of bloodied leaves on the forest floor.
But it happened, yeah...it did.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

That oughta be enough yarn to knit a freakin' sweater.
Aim small, miss small!

Tradman

#7 Post by Tradman »

:roll:

Graps

#8 Post by Graps »

Several years ago I was deer hunting along the Manistee river in the Manistee National Forest in Michigan . I had a canoe that I would take from my campsite to where I was hunting .
I had been hunting for a few days when I was headed back to my camp site around 11:00 AM , I saw something moving across the river . I couldn't quite make out what it was so I paddled closer to it . To my surprise it was a huge buck , looked to be at least a twenty eight inch spread and about fourteen points with two huge drop tines .

My problem now was that it is illegal to shoot a deer in Michigan that is swimming . I thought of a neat idea , I will tie a rope to its antlers and let it tow me to shore and when it climbed out of the water I will have my longbow ready and shoot it . Yea that would work . So I tied on to his antlers and tied the other end of the rope to the front of the canoe .

Off we went towards the shore , he was headed straight to a nice sandy little beach area . How good could this get , not a branch or brush to interfere with the shot . I could hardly believe it could be so easy .

Suddenly I could see that he was touching the bottom because I saw that his head was coming out of the water . I stood up in the middle of the canoe , knocked an arrow , got a good stance and just as he climbed out of the water he was off like a shot . The canoe shot forward flipping me out and into the water landing almost on my head . I struggled to get upright but by the time I got my wits about me I saw the deer run into the woods with my canoe in tow .

Well that really spoiled my hunt for that week and I walked the river bank back to my camp site . I decided to pack up and go home and try this area next year .

Its now a year later and I am back at the same area that I was hunting the year before . Found a nice natural blind , sat there for a few hours .

Then I heard the strangest noise coming . Sounded like a big trash can or something . I looked and there was that same deer from last year still tied to the canoe . I took my longbow and made a perfect shot . Got the deer and my canoe back . I felt so lucky .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Graps

#9 Post by Graps »

Larry I know you want yarns but I have a story that for real is true that will give some good read for this thread .

Back in the mid 70s in Michigan we had no season on snapping turtles nor a size limit .

This one night a friend of mine and I were on a small river , he was paddling the canoe and I would stand in the front with lanterns mounted and shoot snapping turtles with my K-Mag . Now the season for spear fishing in Michigan was over about two weeks earlier so I was strictly turtle hunting .

We had a fairly good night with five turtles that were from twelve to fifteen inches across the back shell . As we were coming back to my truck about 2:00AM , we noticed another truck parked there as well . When we climbed out of the canoe and started walking to the truck with a gunny sack full of turtles a very bright flashlight came on and was right in my eyes . A mans voice said keep coming on up to the road and bring that sack with you . It was a Conservation Officer . So we did . He asked me what was in the sack and I told him snapping turtles . He told me to empty the sack here in the road at his feet . I asked him if he was sure and he insisted . So all five of the turtles that were very upset to begin with began to posture , hiss and snap at his feet . He jumped back and was talking about a Chinese guy called Ho Lee somebody .

I then asked him if he would hold the sack for me and help get the turtles back in the sack . He told me that he would be glad to hold the flashlight for me .

He had never even heard of getting turtles that way and I explained how I shot them threw the neck so they are easier to handle and you don't get the arrow stuck in the shell .

Sure do miss those days . It was about fifteen years later that they started the turtle season , size limit , bag limit and you couldn't use a bow and arrow or spring device .

Tradman

#10 Post by Tradman »

Awesome stories but we need more entries man!

Return to “Gear, Bows and Hunt Giveaways”