Elk Hunt Planning

Share your elk hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt elk. Ask any questions you may have about elk hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to elk hunting
Tradman

Re: Elk Hunt Planning

#11 Post by Tradman »

The cost for a drop camp in the caps is around 1500 a person plus your out of state license/tag is 800. Not bad for the hunt you get.If you go when i go i will gladly call for you free of charge.Show you how its done,teach you everything you need to know.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

Jose

#12 Post by Jose »

That sounds exciting Larry! I don't know how soon I will get to go again but knowing me, I am guessing I will find a way...LOL. I may take you up on that offer if the times work out? Thanks!

Tradman

#13 Post by Tradman »

I am hoping in the next two seasons.Planning on having 3 of us in camp.something to think about.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

scaler

#14 Post by scaler »

I would love to due some hiking/backpacking in the caps sometime. I have found many trails and lakes, do you have any suggestions? Will not make it this year, and plan on the summer time. Elk hunting down there sounds awesome, but I love my steep North Idaho elk camp, plus the price is right!

Good luck this year.

Kbetts

#15 Post by Kbetts »

I'm right there with you. Making my first trip to CO this September. Running at least three days a week and lifting every other. Nothing heavy, just lots of reps for stamina.....and drink half your body weight in ounces of water. It will make a world of difference.
My range finder, release, and sights are the ones God gave me.

scaler

#16 Post by scaler »

Best of luck to you on your hunt! The hunt is the best part, harvest is great when it happens, but the hunt is what I really enjoy!

Tradman

#17 Post by Tradman »

get to reds horse ranch then just follow the horse trail up the minam river.Awesome.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#18 Post by Captainkirk »

Larry wrote:get to reds horse ranch then just follow the horse trail up the minam river.Awesome.
We demand pictures! :mrgreen:
Aim small, miss small!

Old Shortstop

#19 Post by Old Shortstop »

I am doing an elk drop camp with Full Draw in September with two buddies. We went on the same trip in 2014. We were 2 for 3. 1 cow and 1 bull, a 5 point. I was the one did not shoot, but it was a great trip! The bulls were bugling most of the day.

I used to live in Wyoming and did a lot of backpack elk hunting. I always seemed to be in the callers spot instead of the shooter, but elk in the rut is my favorite hunt. My favorite call is the Carlton Fighting Cow Call. It is easy to learn and seems to really crank a bull up. I take diaphragm calls and a grunt tube along, but use cow calls much more than bugles.

I do a lot of cardio to get ready, but don't forget some good core strength training too. I typically do some cardio every day, but mix in two days a week of strength training, weights, rowing machine etc.... Packing an elk out puts big demands on your core for balance with a load. One thing to remember is that if you are from the Midwest you will still be struggling for air the first couple of days until you get acclimated to the altitude, even with good conditioning. Make sure you get a good pack that fits you and will handle the load. Elk are miserable if your pack doesn't fit.

D.P.

Jose

#20 Post by Jose »

Thanks for all the good information! Gives me something to get prepared for.

Return to “Elk hunting tips and tactics”