Things I Learned About Woodies

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Things I Learned About Woodies

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

I am far from an expert (really, really far!) but there are things I am picking up along the way as I go that I will share. Feel free to comment or join in with your own things!
Woodies are a special thing to me; they mingle old-school tradition with nature and are a hobby in themselves. A woody can be simple yet effective, or an expression of art at the highest level, as the bow itself can be. No doubt the carbon and aluminum arrows of today are superior in so many ways, but that endears the woody to me all the more. If it was hi-tech precision I was after, I guess I wouldn't be shooting a bare trad bow to begin with...

(to be continued...)
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

Re: Things I Learned About Woodies

#2 Post by stumper »

My woodies are typically the simplest of things and I put very little effort into making them. I have shot carbon and aluminum but when I shoot a woodie, I know I have flung something. They make a different sound going across the riser and a different lower pitched thud as they smack into the target. Not to mention they cost me around 28 bucks for 12 hand spined weighted spruce shafts which is soooooo much cheaper for me. When I used to break a carbon arrow, I would pretty much cry at the 10 dollars I just lost. Now, all in all, I think my cost is around 3 bucks for a fully completed arrow with fletchings, tip, nock, and everything. If that is not enough, I never have to worry about arrow weight. Woodies are heavy and correct me if I am wrong but it would be hard to violate the 8 grains per pound of draw weight with a properly spined woodie.......Should I admit that I never straighten my shafts????? They always look straight enough to me and seem to shoot just fine.......
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

J. Holden

#3 Post by J. Holden »

I also like to "keep it simple" aspect of woodies. They have been just sealed and fletched for me as well as stained & crested. I love the fact that if I loose one all that will be around is the nock and point after I'm gone.

Although, I will say that it is sometimes a little unnerving when the arrow misses it's mark. Was it me? Or is the shaft a little off? Did I torque it pulling it out of the target last time? The nice thing about carbons is that there's no question. When they're broke, they're broke.

One more thing I enjoy regarding wood shafts is the lack of special tools needed for building. Other than a taper tool there's no vacuums needed, dust masks or tube cutters. Love it.

-Jeremy

White Falcon

#4 Post by White Falcon »

Had me fooled by the title. I also love wooden arrows!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

White Falcon wrote:Had me fooled by the title. I also love wooden arrows!
You are a bad, bad man. :shock: :lol:
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :shock:

Jose

#7 Post by Jose »

Grant I just laughed so hard I about fell off my chair!!!!! :lol:

stumper

#8 Post by stumper »

Hahahahaha
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

One thing I learned early on; all wood is not created equal. Those shafts you got "on sale" are usually on sale for a reason, either overstock (not likely), weight mismatch or variance, rough wood requiring extra time and effort sanding. This can then affect bareshaft arrow weight even more, depending on whether the shat that requires a lot of smoothing/sanding is one of the lighter ones.
When I bought my last batch of POC's (Port Orford Cedars), I paid regular full price for the dozen...and got a dozen perfectly straight shafts that required no straightening and just a light dusting with 400 grit to prep for stain, while the Larch shafts I got required straightening on at least 50% of the shafts and had some funny mill marks and rough areas that required progressing sanding to meet my satisfaction. Bottom line; I spent a lot more time prepping wood than I needed to just to save a couple bucks. The good part was that I used them on my painted arrows so final finish was not really that big of a deal. I would have spent more time if they were to be natural finished. So, as in other things, you get what you pay for.
I have not dropped the dime on some of the premium shafting like those from Forrester; some of the reviews I've read indicate they are pretty pricey but worth every penny. For backyard stick flinging or stumping where breakage and loss is commonplace I don't suppose it makes much difference one way or the other.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

I've mentioned it before but its been a while. Wapiti Archery has always sent me quality POC. I prefer their tapered but the parallels are great too. I've gotten shafts from virtually all the major shaft makers in POC and Douglas Fir, and some of those from 3rivers, Kustom king, footed shaft, and many were second rate. 3R has sent some crappy shafts. I love them for a lot of things but wood shafts are not one of them. All in all day in day out, Wapiti has been the best for me in the past. I may have to straighten a few shafts, but at least the diameters are accurate, no SAP all over em, and I've not had them break under flex testing. I cannot say that about the majority of other shafts I've gotten elsewhere.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “All about arrows”