Hunt most of the day and

Use this area to give and to receive advise involved in taking photos, and making videos of your next traditional bow hunt and how to present them to the rest of us.
Forum rules
Post photography or video questions and advice only.
Graps

Re: Hunt most of the day and

#11 Post by Graps »

Those kind of rules are made by people that are educated beyond there own intelligence. :roll:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#12 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:38 pm Those kind of rules are made by people that are educated beyond there own intelligence. :roll:
...0r, non-hunters. :roll:
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#13 Post by Grizzly »

On the farm I used to hunt in Central Illinois between the Mississippi and the Illinois rivers they asked me not to shoot any under 130". Now that can be hard to judge in the beginning and you start to realize that many of what you might call big bucks are about 130's. I've probably got boxes of antlers between 125 and 130. Soon you recognize them and let them pass, as you look for the 140's and dream of the really big one. I'm glad that I was always happy to take all the does I could for the freezer. My two daughters loved the care packages of venison I'd bring them every year.

I'd guess the buck in the photo was close to 120 and probably less with the broken brow tine. It's hard to accumulate those inches until they get some added height and thickness and yes, spread.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Graps

#14 Post by Graps »

Last year here in Michigan, a guy found a dead buck that was a 6 point with a 24 inch spread. The times were as long as 12 inches and that deer was in an area that had a 4 points on one side minimum.
Them geniuses are just not so smart.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

#15 Post by Grizzly »

I shot one like that, though not nearly as big. He had a deformity at the base of the antler on one side, so all that grew was one long single somewhat stunted antler on that side. On the other side though, which was all I could see at the shot, was what looked like a giant 6 pointer. I wish they had all grown out, cause he'd have been a beauty and would have made 135 or better, if I remember right. He had one huge brow tine also.

Don't folks love to make rules? What's hard is when the youngins are out and have to pass on their first chance at a buck because he doesn't make the rules. I guess it strengthens discipline. On the farm I hunted, we could always bend the local rule for the first buck for a youngster.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

Grizzly wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:32 am I shot one like that, though not nearly as big. He had a deformity at the base of the antler on one side, so all that grew was one long single somewhat stunted antler on that side. On the other side though, which was all I could see at the shot, was what looked like a giant 6 pointer. I wish they had all grown out, cause he'd have been a beauty and would have made 135 or better, if I remember right. He had one huge brow tine also.

Don't folks love to make rules? What's hard is when the youngins are out and have to pass on their first chance at a buck because he doesn't make the rules. I guess it strengthens discipline. On the farm I hunted, we could always bend the local rule for the first buck for a youngster.
I think it's sort of silly to make spread limits on deer. A 'normal' spread might be 16" but what if the deer had abnormal ears (loner or shorter)? If you aren'r in the field sizing deer on a regular basis it would be very easy to make a mistake, IMHO.
Aim small, miss small!

Lowcountry

#17 Post by Lowcountry »

I hunted a lottery draw area in SC for a couple of years. The first time I hunted there, I let pass one of the biggest buck I have ever seen on the hoof, because of "4 points or better on one side" regs. Before the hunt, they drilled into us that the penalty was a lot of money, points off of your license, loss of hunting privilege on that property for 3 years, and they kept the deer. Well, 30 minutes into the first hunt, on the first day, a giant buck jumped out in the road in front of my stand. He looked at me, and turned and ran down the road. I whistled, and he stopped broadside about 75 yards away. I got the gun on his vitals, but before I could confirm 4 points on one side, he jumped off the roads and into the woods - never to be seen again. The whole thing probably only took 5-10 seconds. I was younger then (a lot younger) and was scared of the possible repercussions if he didn't fit the bill. Today - he would reside in a place of honor somewhere in my house. LOL

White Falcon

#18 Post by White Falcon »

They were here all day today. Tempting!
Attachments
DSCN2743.JPG
DSCN2743.JPG (111.26 KiB) Viewed 420 times

Graps

#19 Post by Graps »

That's a neat picture.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#20 Post by Carpdaddy »

Great picture Grant. Sometimes they act like they have been watching our practice sessions and see no reason to fear! LOL. Had some hanging around in front of my target earlier this year.

Return to “Photography and video”