Humble arrows

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
stumper

Re: Humble arrows

#31 Post by stumper »

Clear as mud!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

stumper

#32 Post by stumper »

Talked to kustom king archery on the phone. If you all havent done business with them they are an awesome company to work with. I am sending back the 160 grain VPA broadheads and they are gonna send me the 190 grains along with some 190 grain field points. Shipping today so hopefully I'll have the goods in about a week.

stumper

#33 Post by stumper »

Been thinking hard on the backup bow.... still deciding.... I just fletched the arrows last night and will begin tuning them shortly. I switch between bows pretty regularly so going between left and right handed is not an issue. The three pieces would allow me to have the bow broken down and allow me easy storage... the slick stick does shoot pretty similar.

stumper

#34 Post by stumper »

Interesting development... so today I got the three bows in the running out to see how they shot the unturned shafts that are fletched. Well, first bow I tried was the lefty cardiac arrest and the results were pretty good. So next up the recurve.... the full length shafts shot stiff so this bow is out. Then the slick stick.... shot stiff also... this bow is also out... then I got curious and started taking all my bows off my shelf and stringing them up. All the bows that are in the range of these shafts that is. I need the backup to shoot the 125 grain head and would like some room to tune aka shorter arrows than full length. So then I got down the prairie predator and results were good but dang the hand shock compared to the elkseeker. No go.... maybe I'm spoiled now. For giggles I broke out the old bear tigercat 1970 (somewhere in there I honestly forget) I believe kirk identified it as such. Fantastic! Results! Room to tune and super smooth shooting. So out of the running the dark horse won the day when it wasnt even in the running. So these arrows will be tuned to the bear... I have been planning some 50th anniversary hunts with this bow in a couple years anyway so why not.

The big lesson today was two fold ....one none of the bows come even close to the elkseeker.... I mean in any category not even close... the elkseeker is plain as day the best bow of the bunch..... two never count the old bears out they are shooters.

Off to the post I went and sent back the 160 grain heads and I now I eagerly await the 190 grain heads. To be honest at the end of this I doubt any bow other than the elkseeker will get any use this year, or any other year for that matter.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#35 Post by Carpdaddy »

Okay help, I’m getting old and forgetful, and most things I never knew...
(1) Bareshaft arrows (all else equal) will impact left of fletched arrows due to backend of arrow flying right. True or False.
2. Bareshaft arrows will impact to right of fletched arrows, backend to left. True or false?
3. And the big one.. does this change for right to left hand bows?
Excuse my tipsy ignorance, was put to sleep today for procedure, not fully alert yet. Lol

stumper

#36 Post by stumper »

Bareshaft will impact right with nock end pointing to left of fletched if weak and left with nock pointing right of fletched if stiff. Its reversed for left hand.

Graps

#37 Post by Graps »

I'll stick with paper. Less confusing and SIMPLE.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#38 Post by Carpdaddy »

Everything is confusing right now, even more than normal! 😆

Hill billy

#39 Post by Hill billy »

Tune the one you like best . Or just want to try. We will be patiently waiting :D

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#40 Post by Captainkirk »

Just stop it, Dave. You know I have a weakness for short bows and Elkseekers. I guess I'm only comforted by the news today that I will be needing another root canal/crown very soon...that oughta swallow up any new bow money I might have scraped up.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “All about arrows”