Lighted nocks

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Lighted nocks

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

I've been considering purchasing a set of carbons ( :shock: yeah, I know) for those dusk/predawn shots where you can't tell for sure if or where you hit, you lose the arrow in the case of a miss (which never, ever happens! :lol: ) and to help find a downed deer after darkness has fallen. Has anyone used them, and are they all they are cracked up to be? How id the fit on a standard B50/B55 string? Are some brands better than others, and are any of the various colors more visible in a woods setting?
Aim small, miss small!

Greg Felty

Re: Lighted nocks

#2 Post by Greg Felty »

I am curious also I have never used them.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

To clarify: I'm considering the carbons so I can use lighted nocks.
Aim small, miss small!

Hill billy

#4 Post by Hill billy »

Kirk i played around with lighted knocks a couple years ago. I do like that they add a little weight to the arrow about 20gr if i remember correctly. But imo they didnot allow me to follow my arrow any better. I shoot generally 25 yards or less with a few exceptions and i couldnot follow the arrow or see my shot placement any better with them on. I also thought it was another gadget hassel making sure they were turned on or off. I just put a band of reflective tape on my cresting and have no problem locating an arrow after dark

Lowcountry

#5 Post by Lowcountry »

I use them and love them, but they are not a "must have". I use red and green. Both are super easy to follow the arrow flight in low light. They fit as well or better than standard nocks on my strings. Some are definitely better than others. I like the Nocturnal brand, but I haven't really compared them to other brands other than some cheap no-name brand I tried that were crap.

That being said, they are not perfect. I have found that the "off" switch is a PIA on some of the Nocturnals. It is hit of miss. Some were easy to turn off and some were not. Also, the battery life is not great IMO. I had two Nocturnal nocked arrows in my quiver for about a year that I had never used. When I tried them this year, one didn't light up at all, and one was very weak. They have discontinued the ones I was using, and I haven't tried the new ones yet. Maybe they are "new and improved" now.

Jamesh76

#6 Post by Jamesh76 »

Research home made ones with thrill fishing bobber lights.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Jamesh76 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:18 pm Research home made ones with thrill fishing bobber lights.
I'll check into that, James.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#8 Post by Graps »

You know Kirk, you can get GPS locators to put in your arrows.
https://pro-tracker.com/
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Graps

#9 Post by Graps »

Oh and with the GPS tracker, just think of the money you can save in a lost arrow. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

You know, I saw those a while back. It struck me that if you need a GPS tracker to find a wounded deer, you're not hitting them in the right spot...LOL!
Actually, I believe the article said several states had outlawed them for that reason.
I'm more interested in the lighted nocks for recovering arrows rather than the deer.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “All about arrows”