Built a tool

For all the things we make ourselves for the outdoor world that are not covered in the other specific DIY area.
elkslayer4x5

Re: Built a tool

#21 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

I've had good luck rubbing the bend out, the heat and pressure takes a while but works.

elkslayer4x5

#22 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Guess I'd better quit messin about, feathers are due tomorrow (decided to go barred instead of solid color). So I'm reading a lot of guys are now using 4" parabolic, how tall? A few years ago while grandkids were still interested I burnt a 3.5" Blazer for them, made a semi flu-flu, guess that would be a flu? :lol: more than it did a broadhead stabilizing fletch.
Shafts are cut to length and tapered, also changed my mind about dipping, I can rub on a couple of coats of stain and sealer with an old t shirt, and not have to worry about them dripping while drying.
Trimmed and tapered.jpg
Trimmed and tapered.jpg (86.51 KiB) Viewed 581 times

Grizzly

#23 Post by Grizzly »

I suppose the amount of feather depends upon how perfect the tune of the arrow is to the bow. The better the tune, the less feather required with field points. With a good tune you can use low cut 4" or even 3" to 3 1/2". With broadheads that fly well iirr I settled on high cut 4" where as years before I simply used 5" to cover up mistakes or quick shots where form might be compromised. With cedars, if I was making any today, who knows. I'd probably just use 5" or high 4"s. There is something about 4 - 4" feathers though that really appeals to my sense of beauty and balance. Maybe it's because I still remember how much I liked the looks of the first set that Dad bought from a maker like that years ago. I still have one of those arrows. I'll still build a few that way today. For my carbons though, it's usually low cut 4" or slightly less. Whatever I can finagle out of my cutters.

I remember one time trying 5 1/2" banana cut feathers. That's alot of stabilization and also alot of noise. Stand to the side once and listen to them go by as someone else shoots a few.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

elkslayer4x5

#24 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

That one of the reasons I want a 4" parabolic, those high 3.5" the kids used were noisy, produced a lot of drag. Got plenty of ribbons, but can most likely modify (2nd reason) the one I used for them, might get a little kink on the nock end.

elkslayer4x5

#25 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Did a 3 stage stain, wanting to avoid a solid color. Like the way they look now, so grabbed the Minwax Oil Modified Polyurethane off the shelf in the garage and walked into the house to let the Minwax get to room temp before applied, shaking the can every step of the way. ;) Just before I set the can down near the heater, I read DON"T SHAKE! :( Not sure what will happen to it, maybe won't cure right?
Stained.jpg
Stained.jpg (53.59 KiB) Viewed 573 times

Elkman
Site Admin

#26 Post by Elkman »

elkslayer4x5 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:32 pm Just before I set the can down near the heater, I read DON"T SHAKE! :( Not sure what will happen to it, maybe won't cure right?
I believe it's to keep the bubbles down. You should be okay. You may run into a 6 to 8 hour dry, but that is depending on the room temp as they dry along with humidity levels and air flow. I have never done arrows, but lots of cabinets with the Minwax oil polyurethane. Good finish at a good price and it is water resistant.

Hope it works out for you.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

elkslayer4x5

#27 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

I thought of the bubbles, the can has been upside down near the heater all afternoon and last night, should be near room temp by now. Now where is the foam brush? :?

Grizzly

#28 Post by Grizzly »

Only James Bond's "Vodka Martinis are shaken, not stirred" ;)

If I ever finish the ceders I have banded together, I'll probably use that system also. My old dip tube was probably left with finish in it.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Elkman
Site Admin

#29 Post by Elkman »

Minwax also makes a wipe on poly that might go on easier. Like I said, I have never done arrows. You probably know this....thin coats are always better.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

elkslayer4x5

#30 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Elkman wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:21 am You probably know this....thin coats are always better.
"Did a 3 stage stain" yeah, had a hunch. They'll get a couple of coats. Rains around here. :D
Got some goose feathers from a guy on the lw forum in case it gets real wet. Using artificial barred pen raised turkey feathers on these. Won't take as much weather as goose or wild turkey. Farmers clip the turkey's beaks, prevents them from preening properly.

Return to “DIY section”