Opening weekend squirrels

Big Game not the only game in town? Talk about hunting medium and small game here!
dhaverstick

Opening weekend squirrels

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

Missouri’s squirrel season always opens the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend and you can bet your bacon grease that I will be out on that day trying to thin the local herd. My house butts up right against a smorgasbord of squirrel chow so I don’t even have to leave the front porch to get groceries unless I just want to. However, my wife doesn’t care for the smell of black powder smoke wafting through the living room so only I use a bow when pursuing “yard squirrels”. For their more wild cousins, I press my 12 gauge flintlock smoothbore, Ole Betsy, into service. Without working too hard, I managed to put five in the freezer with both weapons over the weekend and I bet if I looked out the window right now there would be at least a half dozen within 20 yards eating on mulberries and honeysuckle blooms. It’s a tough job trying to keep their population in check but I’ll be on the front line everyday fighting the good fight until Missouri’s archery season opens in September.

A view from the dog yard. Lots of squirrel habitat up close and personal.

A couple of bow kills. I use my lily-white legs to momentarily blind my quarry.

I broke out Ole Betsy to kill the last three. My mother has already laid claim to these so I'll have to get more when I get a chance.

Darren

stumper

Re: Opening weekend squirrels

#2 Post by stumper »

Well done!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Grizzly

#3 Post by Grizzly »

Nice. I used to love squirrel hunting but it has been years and years since I went. I remember our UBI guys organizing club squirrel hunts with bows. I just shook my head at the thought of trying to hit one with a bow. Maybe if I caught one napping, but what are the odds on that? Those who do seem to love it though. I guess I just think of all those arrows caught up there in the branches :lol: Looks like a really nice place you've got there. I loved the time spent on the farm in Pike County Illinois just above the big river.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

dhaverstick

#4 Post by dhaverstick »

Craig, the UBM used to have a squirrel hunt the first weekend of December for several years. You could always tell the newbies from the veterans because the newbs were the only ones who actually went out hunting. The rest of us stayed close to the fire and tried to eat and drink ourselves into a coma. Good times!

Darren

Elkman
Site Admin

#5 Post by Elkman »

Good job Darren, it's cool to see it being done with traditional gear.

Good shooting!
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

Too cool!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Way to go, Darren!