Was very unprepared for the cold

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
jaydee2trad

Was very unprepared for the cold

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

Back in the day, we had no instant weather report, especially for a specific area. I live in mountains but got my weather report via the evening news the day before from a place over a hundred miles away. We had been having very warm days that early fall and the mosquitoes had been terrible. I had my T shirt on with a thin long sleeve shirt on to slow down the blood drinkers. I also had on a see thru facemask to protect my face. The weather report had said that it might get a little bit cooler in the morning but not by much. So I dressed for the warm muggy morning and headed out to the truck. I had the air conditioner on (windows rolled down and the little wing windows opened) and soon had to close them. When I finally pulled into my spot, I could feel a briskness in the air but I was okay and so began my walk. Now I was always one to be in my stand 30 minutes to an hour before daylight and this was no exception. I was settled down with everything in its place as I waited for daylight. My spot was on the backside of a tall ridge where the sun would be slow to get to. I had a great spot and the acorns were dropping. However, after about fifteen minutes, the temps dropped a little bit more and I was begining to feel it. Suddenly I was regretting leaving that jacket in the truck as well as the gloves. Daylight was beginning to happen but brother was it ever slow. Now I was regretting my tree selection as I was still in the dark but the sun was shining down below me. I can still remember finally seeing the sunlight hitting the tree above my head, I slid my shaking hand up to it and held it there in hopes of getting warmer. Ever so slowly, the sun crept down to where I was shuddering. When one side finally warmed up a little bit, I turned around to warm up another side. lesson learned for the most part but never forgot raising my hand up into the sun's rays.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Was very unprepared for the cold

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Yes. I always bring my jacket and gloves in my daypack regardless of the temp. I almost always wind up needing them.
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#3 Post by Elkman »

Yeah, I learned that the hard way here and now I always have mine in the pack also. Quit often they're on right away. Here in Montana, during bow season, we could start out at 40° go down to freezing 30 to 60 minutes after first light and then hit 80 about 5pm.
Many times it's been in the 20's to start the day and go up to the mid 70's or more in late afternoon. Sometimes it is a real pain to deal with.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Jamesh76

#4 Post by Jamesh76 »

I keep glove, sock hat and a light jacket with me at all times. I remember Kamsas heavy snow in October and 65 degree weather in November. As far as Montana goes, last time I was there it snowed in mid Sept, hit 80.the same afternoon. Always be prepared and.have your emergency gear.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”