Call me Murphy, wasted hunt

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
jaydee2trad

Call me Murphy, wasted hunt

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

Been dying at night, coughing my head off etc all night long no matter what I take or use. Didn't cough much yesterday during the day and just a few episodes last night. Was working on the new board bow this morning and not coughing at all so decided for an evening hunt. Took shower, dressed and headed out with the Kodiak at 4. Was sitting maybe twenty minutes and had to cough. So I got a drink of water and got a mouthful of Werthers. Was fighting coughing again and it was killing me. It was bad enough that we had a North wind when they called for it to be SW. Finally at 4:49 I had to cough no matter what. So three hard coughs and I was sorta feeling a tiny bit better. That was until I glanced to my hard right to see 3 does and 3 yearings looking my way before taking off. tweny minutes later I was coughing again and headed for the truck. Got to the house and the wind finally shifted correctly. Not crazy about the buddy stand with the high sides, hard for bowhunting.

Jamesh76

Re: Call me Murphy, wasted hunt

#2 Post by Jamesh76 »

sounds like you need to work on that bow for a few days. Maybe start another?

I started working the limbs down on a hickory stave the last few days. Not sure if it will turn out or not, it has several large knots going all the way through the limbs. Several spots, I had to keep the limbs wide to account for. I wasn't able to start my taper until the last 12-15" of each limb going to 1/2" tips. The bow will pretty much be all sapwood unless I keep a stiff handle.

Hickory they say needs a moisture level of 6-8%. Not sure where this one is as I haven't measured it. Goal is 66" 45@28. may or may not cut in a shelf. Haven't yet decided if I want a stiff or bendy handle. Its currently cut for a stiff handle.

jaydee2trad

Re: Call me Murphy, wasted hunt

#3 Post by jaydee2trad »

Jamesh76 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:05 am sounds like you need to work on that bow for a few days. Maybe start another?

I started working the limbs down on a hickory stave the last few days. Not sure if it will turn out or not, it has several large knots going all the way through the limbs. Several spots, I had to keep the limbs wide to account for. I wasn't able to start my taper until the last 12-15" of each limb going to 1/2" tips. The bow will pretty much be all sapwood unless I keep a stiff handle.

Hickory they say needs a moisture level of 6-8%. Not sure where this one is as I haven't measured it. Goal is 66" 45@28. may or may not cut in a shelf. Haven't yet decided if I want a stiff or bendy handle. Its currently cut for a stiff handle.
from the pics that you sent me of that bow, it is one gnarly piece of wood where those big knots are. but I think that those kind of selfbows are the best, they have real character. Plus a high dose of the cool factor when done right. Good luck with that one, hope to see it finished and shooting

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”