Dumb as a Possum

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
jaydee2trad

Dumb as a Possum

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

"Released" another possum earlier. We have caught a ton of them (huge mountain behind us) and I can say that only one or two actually were quick releases. This one today was another stupid one, it was at the opening and only had to step out probably 4 or 5 times and yet would go back to the very back of the live trap. My grandfather used to say that a possum was so stupid that it didn't even know that it was dead at times. I have known of people blasting them with a gun and they were blasted good only to later crawl off. So this morning was another beat all around the trap, on the trap and poke the crap out of them for 20 minutes before it decided to get out. One time, I drove out to a spot and left the trap, open, in the back of the truck as I sat inside and ate a sandwich. I listened to the news on the radio and texted my son too. Finally got out to see if it was gone or not. Not, it had gotten out of the cage but curled up beside the trap. Any other critter is gone like a flash and occasionally a big boar coon thinks that he has something to prove but he loses then. My wife moves the trap with the critter inside to the truck for me part of the time but if a big coon growls or snaps too much, the 22 cal PCP air rifle ends the growling. She doesn't mess around either, she looks for a reason to do it. And that is why we have a coon hide drying now on a board. The brain of a possum is very tiny which means most head shots miss it completely. So my grandfather would put a pole across their neck, step on the pole and give the tail a hard jerk to break the neck. cheap, easy and fast.

Hill billy

Re: Dumb as a Possum

#2 Post by Hill billy »

I personally have not had very much success with the neck breaking technique. Never had a problem shooting them just above the center of both eyes. But if your going to listen to the news and eat lunch throw the trap and them in the pond or creek! Lol sounds like they need a thinning out. Good luck they are a real pain on a trap line.and yes stupid I agree!!

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”