Carpdaddy, feathers

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
jaydee2trad

Carpdaddy, feathers

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

Tony, I have looked back at the pics that you posted on my river cane arrows where I believe that you used goose feathers for fletching arrows. I have a few crow feathers and they look like they should work just fine. maybe a little low profile but ok. I may be a little slow getting more crows with my air rifle but they will come. I just totally hate spending dollars on something that weighs nothing like feathers. Oh sure, the bright colors are so nice to watch as they head for the target but heck, I'm not planning on many shots ever again over 20 yards, probably 16 or so max. Heck I also pick up any big feathers that I happen to find from turkey to buzzards, even a few hawk or owl. I'm leaning more towards a shorter fletch now too, maybe 3 1/2 to 4" with the heavier up front head. This would give me a little more clearance sitting on the bow as well for the slightly lower brace heights. I have looked at your idea of using the cut off aluminum shafts as a "footing" for the front to hold an insert as well. This would be a great way to even add some more weight to the front since I have a pound or 4 of number 12 shot. I also have some shot that was in some leg or ankle weights that I bought at a resale store for 50 cents each. just a little glue and a little shot and there you are. Anyways, it is nice to have options with the feathers.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Carpdaddy, feathers

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Never know without venturing out and trying things. I enjoy the making things I hunt or shoot with. Let us know how the crow feathers work out. Goose was fine.

Jamesh76

Re: Carpdaddy, feathers

#3 Post by Jamesh76 »

I love goose feathers. They don't get all wet like others.

Return to “All about arrows”