This shooting bag is heading to Mexico

How to's, questions and build alongs for those who make or want to make their own gear made from leather. Get some tips on how you can make your own quiver, arm guard, etc. to go along with your Custom Traditional Bow.
Forum rules
No selling of leather goods unless you are a sponsor.
dhaverstick

This shooting bag is heading to Mexico

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

I finished this shooting bag yesterday for Jordi Gene, owner of TanKab Outfitters in the Yucatan. A mutual friend of ours, Bill Cooper, commissioned me to make it and it will be delivered Sunday when Bill flies down there to hunt. The two main critters that people hunt there are Brocket deer and Ocellated turkeys so I did my best to incorporate them in the design of the bag. Jordi is a big time traditional bow hunter and black powder shooter and I look forward to meeting him next year when Bill takes me down there on a writer's junket. I hope to kill another turkey with my bow and one with a flintlock smoothbore.

The body of this bag is made from elk hide and the dark trim is bison. The colorful leather is embossed cowhide. I looked at A LOT of leather to try to match the color and texture of the Ocellated turkey's magnificent plumage.

The images of the Brocket deer were a collaborative effort with my niece, Alex Sapaugh. In order to get the images etched onto leather, I need a clean, crisp black-and-white drawing. I couldn't find anything I liked on the web so I found a couple of photos I liked and had Alex do some magical artwork on a computer. As you can see, the end result is amazing. The photos and the drawings are identical.

The strap buttons and flap hooks were carved out of deer antler and the strap "D" rings were carved out of moose antler. I put some personal touches on the inside of the bag and sewed it all up by hand using artificial sinew.

Darren

Greg Felty

Re: This shooting bag is heading to Mexico

#2 Post by Greg Felty »

You do awesome leather work.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Jamesh76

#3 Post by Jamesh76 »

how many hours of work does it take you to complete these on average? They are really neat!

dhaverstick

#4 Post by dhaverstick »

Jamesh76 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:01 pm how many hours of work does it take you to complete these on average? They are really neat!
Thanks! I honestly couldn't tell you how much time I have in that bag. Probably 80 hours?

Darren

Elkman
Site Admin

#5 Post by Elkman »

Wow Darren!
Awesome as usual!
Very, very nice.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Grizzly

#6 Post by Grizzly »

Amazing work, and you put your heart into everything you do.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

dhaverstick

#7 Post by dhaverstick »

I learned this morning that Jordi Gene was given this bag last night by Bill Cooper and Jordi wants to meet me. Looks like I'm going to get a free hunt next year. All I have to do is pay for the plane ticket. Woohoo!!!

Darren

Grizzly

#8 Post by Grizzly »

Hopefully you can get a mount this time to bring home. Get your shots.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “Leather Crafting”