WHERE IS EVERYBODY?!!!!!!!

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

WHERE IS EVERYBODY?!!!!!!!

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

C'mon, fellers...I know it's summer...vacations, yard work, fishing trips, long days of sunlight...
But, really? :shock:

There has to be SOMETHING trad going on in your lives! Even if it's shooting arrows off the porch into a foam deer, making a self bow, building arrows, stumping, bow fishing. Even if it's reading trad magazines or watching videos. I refuse to believe y'all just stuff your bow in the closet and don't dust it off until fall. In fact, I KNOW that's not the truth, because I see it on other trad forums. Trad archers doing what trad archers do! It is, after all, mid-summer, and time to start thinking about planning your fall hunt. So let's get some talking and posting going on here!
Aim small, miss small!

Jamesh76

Re: WHERE IS EVERYBODY?!!!!!!!

#2 Post by Jamesh76 »

I'm around. Haven't been doing anything Trad related really. Preparing for an antelope hunt come Sept 24-26. Still battling some elbow pain. Shooting a non- trad at the moment just so I feel good hunting again.
Been rebuilding our 84 C20 we have had since new. Getting closer to painting it. Needing to replace the passenger cab corner still.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

I know you've been down due to the elbow issue, James. Are you hunting antelope with an alternative bow or think you'll be back in shape by then?
I'd love to see pix of the C20 progress!
Aim small, miss small!

coop2564

#4 Post by coop2564 »

I'm a newbie. Just built a Hickory selfbow 1st one. Really enjoyed it. Its shooting a 535gr arrow @ 158 fps 50#@28. Its gotten so hot here in TX its just no fun shooting now. Extreme drought going on had to sell off my cows, hay crazy high here $120 round bale.
Attachments
20220616_132246.jpg
20220616_132246.jpg (95.1 KiB) Viewed 121 times

Jamesh76

#5 Post by Jamesh76 »

Captainkirk wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:30 am I know you've been down due to the elbow issue, James. Are you hunting antelope with an alternative bow or think you'll be back in shape by then?
I bought a Hoyt Torrex. I will be using it. I am not sure how long it will take. I can shoot a trad bow a few times. But the string weight at draw, hand shock etc. I am unable to shoot enough to be consistent enough to hunt. I even built some light weight bows but it was still a issue. With the other bow, I can shoot quite a few shots. Also don’t have to practice as much to shoot well. I am starting to think I will need surgery on my left elbow also before it gets better. I keep doing stretches and therapy at home we will see. I have put my bow building hobby on hold as I think using the draw knife and stringing the bow is what got me in this situation in the first place. I learned a new hobby, got pretty good at it and overworked myself causing the injury. There were days I would make and tiller 2 bows in 1 day. I was doing 3-4 usually per week.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

coop2564 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:01 pm I'm a newbie. Just built a Hickory selfbow 1st one. Really enjoyed it. Its shooting a 535gr arrow @ 158 fps 50#@28. Its gotten so hot here in TX its just no fun shooting now. Extreme drought going on had to sell off my cows, hay crazy high here $120 round bale.
Welcome, Coop! Sorry the cows had to go, but I understand. You gotta feed yourself before you can feed the cows...
Very nice job on the self bow! You should pat yourself on the back for a job well done!
Do you make your own arrows as well? Inquiring minds want to know... ;)
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Jamesh76 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:09 pm
Captainkirk wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:30 am I know you've been down due to the elbow issue, James. Are you hunting antelope with an alternative bow or think you'll be back in shape by then?
I bought a Hoyt Torrex. I will be using it. I am not sure how long it will take. I can shoot a trad bow a few times. But the string weight at draw, hand shock etc. I am unable to shoot enough to be consistent enough to hunt. I even built some light weight bows but it was still a issue. With the other bow, I can shoot quite a few shots. Also don’t have to practice as much to shoot well. I am starting to think I will need surgery on my left elbow also before it gets better. I keep doing stretches and therapy at home we will see. I have put my bow building hobby on hold as I think using the draw knife and stringing the bow is what got me in this situation in the first place. I learned a new hobby, got pretty good at it and overworked myself causing the injury. There were days I would make and tiller 2 bows in 1 day. I was doing 3-4 usually per week.
We do what we gotta do, James. At least you're getting out there. And I wish you much success and a full freezer!
Also, I hear ya on going gung-ho on stuff. I tend to do that myself.
Aim small, miss small!

coop2564

#8 Post by coop2564 »

Not yet. Using BE vintage right now. Hope to make my own soon though.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

coop2564 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:10 pm Not yet. Using BE vintage right now. Hope to make my own soon though.
Nothing quite like a set of home-brewed woodies. :D
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#10 Post by Carpdaddy »

:geek: Here i is Captain! Been shooting in short periods as I can, I try to get a few shots off daily, sometimes twice a day, got to stay sighted in.
Preached in Revival tonight, my Church last night, and been in a Revival somewhere all week! I’m wearing down fast in my old age!

Return to “Campfire”