( ASL )American Semi Longbows

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Hillstyle

( ASL )American Semi Longbows

#1 Post by Hillstyle »

How many here shoot ASL longbows or what’s known as Hillstyle longbows?
My first real bow was a Bear Grizzly then I moved on to custom made recurves like a Blacktail then got into Vintage Bears mostly 1955-56 Kodiaks. Finally settled on the Hillstyle longbows and the Hill/Schulz way of shooting (swingdraw). Shot aluminums, carbons but have shot wood only for several years now.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: ( ASL )American Semi Longbows

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

What sort of woodies? Do you make your own? Have any pix?
I'm still shooting the vintage Bear recurves I've managed to collect.
Love to see some pix of the Hill style bows.
Aim small, miss small!

Hillstyle

#3 Post by Hillstyle »

Mostly shooting POC or Surewood Douglas fir. I bought 5 dozen of the vintage ACME POC shafts but haven’t had time to make arrows yet. I’ve accumulated hundreds of wood arrows. They just shoot better with a longbow imo.

Elkman
Site Admin

#4 Post by Elkman »

I tried a couple back in the late 80's when I was thinking about getting into bowhunting and archery. I don't recall much other than the fact that the recurve I was testing the same day was better feeling to me so, I ended up making a takedown recurve since I was having a hard time saving the money for the one that I wanted.
Now when I shoot trad, I use the hybrid R/D style longbow that I make.

I have been thinking about making a Hill style, I just haven't taken the time to do so.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

I make my own POC or Tamarack arrows as well. Nothing smells better than opening a box of fresh cedar shafts!
I have not tried the Surewoods yet, so far everything I've made came from materials from 3Rivers.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Campfire”