Medicine Bag Necklace

How to's, questions and build alongs for those who make or want to make their own gear made from leather. Get some tips on how you can make your own quiver, arm guard, etc. to go along with your Custom Traditional Bow.
Forum rules
No selling of leather goods unless you are a sponsor.
dhaverstick

Medicine Bag Necklace

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

My best bud, John "Cool Johnny" Norris, asked me a while back to make him a medicine bag necklace. Due to the bag's small size, it was hard for me to come up with a design that would be functional, would look good, and would be something that I could actually sew by hand. After a few starts and stops, I settled on the bag you see here. It is made from deer hide. I'm still not crazy about how it draws to close but it is what it is.

I had a better idea for what I wanted the lanyard to look like, but that also provided some challenges. First off, I had to learn how to do a 4-strand round braid. Braiding deer lace can be a challenge because of how stretchy it is so I used suede lace which is a little more stiff. Then I had to design a clasping mechanism that I could carve out of deer antler that wouldn't be too bulky. I had a vision in my head of a hook and loop kind of clasp with the hook having wings at the end to lock it in place. That proved to be tough to carve out and I lost a bit of skin in the process. Lastly, I needed to figure out a decent way to secure the deer antler beads and turkey spurs in place. I settled on putting a metal brad through each piece and then epoxying the brad in place.

I hope it brings Cool Johnny good luck in the woods. It already has a bunch of powerful mojo in it!

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Medicine Bag Necklace

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

I'll say that has mojo alright...in spades! You really have an eye for what works, Darren. I'm impressed!
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#3 Post by Elkman »

I'm impressed also!!!
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

dhaverstick

#4 Post by dhaverstick »

Cool Johnny liked his bag!

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

How could he not!!!!
Now you're gonna have to call him "Way Cool Johnny"!
Aim small, miss small!

dhaverstick

#6 Post by dhaverstick »

Captainkirk wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:35 pm How could he not!!!!
Kirk, funny you should mention that. My wife said he was promoted to "Way Cool Johnny" earlier this year and asked why I didn't put "WCJ" on the bag.

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

dhaverstick wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:04 am
Captainkirk wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:35 pm How could he not!!!!
Kirk, funny you should mention that. My wife said he was promoted to "Way Cool Johnny" earlier this year and asked why I didn't put "WCJ" on the bag.

Darren
Some things are just obvious... :D
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Leather Crafting”