How to reduce draw weight on longbow.

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
A-HEAVY-1

How to reduce draw weight on longbow.

#1 Post by A-HEAVY-1 »

I have two bear Montana longbows
That I purchased 20 yrs ago for me and one of my sons who said he may take up archery but didn't.both are 60#,and although that was no problem at the time now with a shoulder injury I need a lighter bow 45-50# due to circumstances I have no expendable income to buy something lighter so am looking for a way to decrease at least 10# off this bow.anybody try this with good results,and if so care to elaborate? Thanks

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: How to reduce draw weight on longbow.

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Only way I know is to shave the limbs. I would not try that on a factory bow myself as it will de-value it and possibly make it unsellable, or it may break on you. I suggest selling both bows on one of the auction sites and taking the profits and buying one better suited to your draw weight.
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

Re: How to reduce draw weight on longbow.

#3 Post by Elkman »

Hi David,

Welcome to Tradhunter!

I am a Bowyer and I agree with Captainkirk. Even if I were to attempt to decrease the weight for you the value of the bow, in my opinion, may go down.
I'm not saying it can't be done. I have done it myself numerous times. It is risky to you and to the bow and I don't really feel comfortable telling you what could be done when your safety is at risk. There are other factors that have to be considered when working down a bow that effect how the bows will bend, perform and shoot overall.
I'm not saying you are not capable either. You may be and even have all the tools you need to do the work.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Return to “The Bowyer”