cow calls

Share your elk hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt elk. Ask any questions you may have about elk hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to elk hunting
Lost Wilderness

cow calls

#1 Post by Lost Wilderness »

What kind of cow calls do you all like? Besides diaphragms...

bronco2

Re: cow calls

#2 Post by bronco2 »

wish i could be some wheres that had elk and could also comment on this post.. would love to here a big bull elk calling a cow. i bet than is a awesome sounds to here in the big timber and the break of daylight. with only a stick in your hands...thanks

Desert Rat

#3 Post by Desert Rat »

I have had good luck with the" bite and blow" calls from ELK inc. These are very easy to master for both cow and calf sounds. I have also used Wayne Carlton's fighting cow call with success, especially during the height of the rut. Diaphragm calls are the best (hands free) if you can use them. It's hard not to swallow them when a bull is screaming at you and blowing snot at you from 10 yds away.

cyberscout

#4 Post by cyberscout »

I too, like and use the Elk inc calls -I just cow call these days -- too much "bugle pollution" In a lot of the public lands. [ I would still bugle, depending on when & where - but not much anymore]
It has worked well for me and is easy to use--

Stiknstring

#5 Post by Stiknstring »

I swear by my Sceery "Ace"
I carry 6-7 different cow calls that I have acquired over the years, have a bunch that I dont even carry that I have bought that I dont like (Hoochie)
I can make beautiful music with my Sceery, even have been asked by hunting partners how I can make it sound so good, I tell him 30+ years of practice.
But confidence is more important than the call.
I have called in more elk by just making a few low volume calls, then waiting.
Having the patience to only make 1-3 subtle chirps every 15 minutes to 1/2 hour and nothing else can really make you feel alone in the woods, but when you hear a cow chirp back after you were about to give up, and find out that you now have a herd in your lap, things get exciting very quickly !!

Tradman

#6 Post by Tradman »

In my honest unbiased opinion the best cow call ever made is the COWGIRL by primos...I will never use another cow call other than the cowgirl.Very easy to master and sounds like it should.PERIOD.Jmho
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

Old Shortstop

#7 Post by Old Shortstop »

Wayne Carlton's Fighting Cow Call has been the most productive for me and some of the guys I hunt with. Easy to use and creates a lot of excitement. I do keep a diaphragm in my mouth most of the time in case I get in close and need to stop one or do a little coaxing when I can't risk movement. I wish I still lived where I could hunt them every year.

D.P.

Return to “Elk hunting tips and tactics”